Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Public intox?  (Read 1582 times)

clhurley

• View Profile
Public intox?
« on: July 16, 2008, 12:06:44 AM »
So...... When I was barely a sophomore (in college), I was arrested for public intoxication. Dumb, I know. Anyway, I went to court and the conviction was expunged, but I know I still have to put it on my law school applications (right?). Anyway, my question is.. Do you think this will ever be a determining factor in any of my school's decisions? How big of a deal is it anyway, if it was a couple years ago and was expunged? Thanks!
i'm currently abroad in paris, france. poor me. but it changes things.
lsat = 168; gpa = 3.8

justjeffrey

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Public intox?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 12:37:55 AM »
Definitely admit to the charge but I sincerely dobut the review will consider that too heavily.

Besides, you were an undergrad. Try not to think you are the only law student with a record.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 12:45:27 AM »
I agree with justjeffrey.  I think public intoxication is pretty low on the red-flag meter, as far as infractions go.  Plus, like jeff said, you've had at least a couple of years since the conviction.  Just write an addendum about it being a stupid mistake of youth, you've matured since, etc. and I think you'll be fine.  There are people on this board with far more checkered records.

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 09:46:11 AM »
I had something similar. Excessive consumption or something of that variety. Just disclose and you'll be fine. PM me if you want to see my addendum to get an idea.

AsteroidB12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 04:37:48 PM »
since it was exponged, you would not need to mention it if the app asked about if you were convicted of a crime, correct?

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 04:47:27 PM »
since it was exponged, you would not need to mention it if the app asked about if you were convicted of a crime, correct?

I still would because of the whole character and fitness review.  The rule is to disclose if there's any doubt.  And, a lot of apps will ask if you've ever been arrested, so you'd have to disclose anyway.  Some will say to include convictions, even if they were expunged, if I'm not mistaken...not sure though, I'll take a look and see if I can find an example.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 04:51:14 PM »
I checked the very first app I came to (U of Akron), and it's pretty typical.  It asks if you've ever been arrested, even if it was expunged and if you've ever been convicted; as separate questions.  Disclose, you'll be happy you did in the long run!

clhurley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 05:12:32 PM »
Phew, OK, thanks. Yeah, it was really circumstantial and not a big deal, but I know I'd better disclose so as not to have some horrible investigation later.
i'm currently abroad in paris, france. poor me. but it changes things.
lsat = 168; gpa = 3.8

AsteroidB12

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 06:54:46 PM »
If it says arrested, totally disclose it, and if there is any ambiguity in the question defintely air on the side of caution. But if it asks 'have you ever been CONVICTED', I don't see any reason why you would disclose an expunged arrest.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 07:02:13 PM »
If it says arrested, totally disclose it, and if there is any ambiguity in the question defintely air on the side of caution. But if it asks 'have you ever been CONVICTED', I don't see any reason why you would disclose an expunged arrest.

Because most apps ask both.  And many of them, like U of Akron, ask you to list convictions even if expunged.  Certainly, do what you think is best if the application simply asks about convictions and says nothing about arrests or a record that was expunged.  But, I think you'll be hard pressed to find an application like that. 

The bottom line is: disclose or face the consequences.  Those consequences could be: having an acceptance offer rescinded, getting kicked out of law school, making it through LS without anyone finding out and then failing the character and fitness.  In the latter situation, you'll be ten of thousands of dollars in debt, JD in hand and unable to sit for or be admitted to the bar.