Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: perception of a Canadian UG degree by American adcoms?  (Read 11398 times)

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: perception of a Canadian UG degree by American adcoms?
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 02:57:48 PM »
Very interesting.
I am an American but attend UBC... Will be returning to the US for LS and hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot. :) I am applying to west coast schools, so who knows.. ahh...

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 03:02:09 PM »
Very interesting.
I am an American but attend UBC... Will be returning to the US for LS and hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot. :) I am applying to west coast schools, so who knows.. ahh...

You didn't.  I went to Ryerson (not exactly the most prestigious Canadian university, but a good one to non-elitists) and I'll be entering Cornell this fall. 

The poster above you must have had a friend who 1) applied too late in the cycle, 2) didn't have good softs, 3) wrote a poor personal statement, or 4) some combo of the above.  Doing really well in any undergrad and getting a 172 should have been autoadmit at NYU, which (last I checked) is top 5.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 04:04:25 PM »
Very interesting.

Doubt it would. I went to UBC for undergrad, and currently attend UChicago.

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 05:53:27 PM »
Thanks, guys.
My GPA isn't too hot but I hope my LSAT/PS/EC, etc can at least get me into LMU, SCU, USD, etc...

Good luck to you all in your studies.

I'll be visiting my mom in Chicago next week (she's a prof).

W

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 07:51:41 PM »
There's a girl at HLS who went to Queen's. I think she had a stellar GPA and something like a 171.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 10:06:40 PM »
I am not worried so much about my Diploma saying UBC, but more about GPA conversions. The grading systems is so different here (10% lower, roughly, with a % given and a letter, but no "GPA").

W

mark_darcy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 12:22:47 PM »
there are about 70 Canadians at HLS right now.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 03:15:36 AM »
And I think we can all acknowledge that U of T is probably the most well known, not necessarily even as being the best, but simply by being located in the most well known Canadian city.

UofT is most definitely the best.

But then again, I can see why non-UofT undergrads would use baseless logic to try to degrade it's reputation. It's only the university with the strongest funding, the best scholarship and the most internationally recognized faculty in Canada.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 07:14:03 AM »
And I think we can all acknowledge that U of T is probably the most well known, not necessarily even as being the best, but simply by being located in the most well known Canadian city.

But then again, I can see why non-UofT undergrads would use baseless logic to try to degrade it's reputation. It's only the university with the strongest funding, the best scholarship and the most internationally recognized faculty in Canada.

Eh, it is well-known in certain circles, but I think McGill carries as much academic goodwill as UofT.  Then again, I am from the Northeast, so perceptions may be different here than they are in the States in general.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »

Eh, it is well-known in certain circles, but I think McGill carries as much academic goodwill as UofT.  Then again, I am from the Northeast, so perceptions may be different here than they are in the States in general.

McGill is a great school, but it has a slightly inflated reputation relative to it's output.