Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: perception of a Canadian UG degree by American adcoms?  (Read 11421 times)

ilove

• View Profile
perception of a Canadian UG degree by American adcoms?
« on: July 15, 2008, 10:26:50 PM »
anyone know how Law School adcoms in the US view Canadian undergraduate degrees?

I hear the name/reputation of UG schools do not significantly affect your application, but it would still be interesting to note how a degree Made in Canada would fare in the minds of US law schools.

Are Canadian UG degrees generally lumped into the "international" category?  or are we shown more love by certain schools?

looking forward to an interesting discussion.

papercranes

• Sr. Citizen
  • Beer Lao. Why did I leave and come to law school?
    • View Profile
Re: perception of a Canadian UG degree by American adcoms?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 12:01:13 AM »
this has been discussed before. Search around.

Bottom line. It doesn't seem to make much, if any, difference.
university of southern california 2011

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 03:25:42 PM »
With the exception of UofT, McGill, and maybe Queens it will just look like another university.  No worries...there are far more American universities that I'm sure the adcoms aren't entirely familiar with.  I went to Ryerson and got into Fordham, Emory, BU (with $), and U-Miami.  I'm sure where I went for undergrad did not matter one bit. 
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 01:18:36 PM »
With the exception of UofT, McGill, and maybe Queens it will just look like another university.  No worries...there are far more American universities that I'm sure the adcoms aren't entirely familiar with.  I went to Ryerson and got into Fordham, Emory, BU (with $), and U-Miami.  I'm sure where I went for undergrad did not matter one bit. 

And Queens?  LOLz!
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 01:28:54 PM »

And Queens?  LOLz!

What's funny?

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 02:36:18 PM »
I think the one thing adcomm's may keep in the back of their mind is that grade inflation is lower in Canada than in the US, though that doesn't mean they'll admit someone with a 3.0. I'm sure they're familiar with a variety of schools though, some schools post which universities make up their university class and I remember reading Harvard's one year and it included people from U of T, U of S, UBC, McGill, Western, Dal, and a couple others (though, not Queen's).

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 06:36:18 PM »

And Queens?  LOLz!

What's funny?

Dude, that university is run of the mill.  The only four Canadian universities that show up on the world radar on a yearly basis are U of T, McGill, UBC, and U of A, roughly in that order.  They're also the only four for which I've managed to find evidence of being ranked by some American universities.  However, basically, U of T and McGill are the only two that provide any real help to your chances, unless a particular law school you're applying to has ties to a particular Canadian school.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 09:03:09 PM »

And Queens?  LOLz!

What's funny?

Dude, that university is run of the mill.  The only four Canadian universities that show up on the world radar on a yearly basis are U of T, McGill, UBC, and U of A, roughly in that order.  They're also the only four for which I've managed to find evidence of being ranked by some American universities.  However, basically, U of T and McGill are the only two that provide any real help to your chances, unless a particular law school you're applying to has ties to a particular Canadian school.

Well..at least in NY, Queens is much more well-known and well-regarded than UBC or UofA.  I am pretty sure that it isn't run of the mill either.

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 11:01:59 PM »
I think it just depends who you interact with. There's no point debating it since I know loads of people from my province who haven't heard of Queen's, and I've met people internationally who would have heard of U of C but not U of A. And I think we can all acknowledge that U of T is probably the most well known, not necessarily even as being the best, but simply by being located in the most well known Canadian city. On your LSDAS academic summary it tells the adcomm's (who have probably received applications in the past from people from your school) how you fit in with your overall school. Is 50% of your school all have 4.0's just like you? Or are you part of 1% of people who have a 4.0, whereas 75% have a 3.25. That's what adcomm's will focus on, not whether you went to Queen's or U of S or U of C or Dal or wherever.

Migrate

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 11:39:26 PM »
The common understanding is that admission to canadian UG are not by any means competitive (compared to the U.S.), and thus if you don't have a really good GPA, it will likely have an adverse effect on your app, even if you go to one of the "prestigious ones." One of my frieds went to UT, did really well and a really good LSAT (172), and didn't crack top 5.