Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Washington and Lee vs. University of Washington (Seattle)  (Read 2299 times)

vrstabombona

• View Profile
Washington and Lee vs. University of Washington (Seattle)
« on: July 15, 2008, 05:56:27 PM »
What do you think are the pros and cons of either? I was all set to go to UW in Seattle but just got taken off the Wait List and W&L. Advice anyone?

Thank you! I have a couple days to decide and not sure what to do.
GPA 3.89/LSAT 159
In: UC Davis, University of Washington, Santa Clara Univ.
Out: Harvard, Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, University of Michigan, University of Chicago, Northwestern, Cornell, USC
W/L: William and Mary, UCLA
Waiting on: UVA and Washington and Lee

lilly22

• Washington & Lee!
    • View Profile
Re: Washington and Lee vs. University of Washington (Seattle)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 12:19:01 AM »
first off, let me start by saying i might be slightly biased because im going to W&L. have you visited either school?

As far as rankings go, W&L is ranked 5 spots higher than Univ of Washington, but its not really that much of a difference. I dont know much about Univ of Washington, but I do know a bunch about W&L. W&L boasts a low students:faculty ratio, beautiful campus, 93% bar passage rate and high job placement. However, I guess the biggest drawbacks of W&L is the location. Lexington is really tiny...there isnt really a nightlife and the Virginia Military Institute is right next door. However, if quaint living is your thing vs. big city life, Lexington can be great and really friendly. Plus, its ridiculously cheap. The only other drawback for W&L is that they primarily funnel into firms in Charlotte, DC, NYC and down South. If you want to practice anywhere outside this locale, you might have a slightly more difficult time securing your dream job. However, as the 25th best law school in the nation, I really dont think it would end up being too detrimental.

sasfore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 11:34:08 AM »
W&L was always ranked T20 until these past few years.

If you want to work in the Northeast, mainly Washington, nobody beats U of Washington.

If you want to try out the East coast, W&L is pretty excellent. Unlike the previous poster, I love the small town environment. Great outdoorsy stuff.

For their respective markets, they place pretty much equally well. Cost of living is cheaper at W&L

whartonn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 12:54:28 PM »

If you want to work in the Northeast, mainly Washington, nobody beats U of Washington.

If you want to try out the East coast, W&L is pretty excellent. Unlike the previous poster, I love the small town environment. Great outdoorsy stuff.

For their respective markets, they place pretty much equally well. Cost of living is cheaper at W&L

I think you meant to say "Northwest"

I would agree that WU is the right choice for the Northwest and W&L is the right choice for the South and some of the Mid-Atlantic

sasfore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 08:59:26 PM »

I think you meant to say "Northwest"

I would agree that WU is the right choice for the Northwest and W&L is the right choice for the South and some of the Mid-Atlantic

lol, whoops, thanks for the fix-up

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 03:56:46 PM »
I agree with geographical considerations being the main deciding point here.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.