Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Looking For Hope  (Read 1551 times)

realitysets

• View Profile
    • Email
Looking For Hope
« on: July 15, 2008, 11:18:32 AM »
In approaching the upcoming cycle, I have found clinging to the fleeting hope that I will attend a T14 difficult. I will graduate from a top ten undergradute university, but from what I have read, prestige of your undergradute institution matters little. I think my softs will give me a fighting chance, but my dream of attending NYU or Columbia and practicing Big Law in NYC may not be realized. Money is an issue, and a re-take of the the LSAT is both undesirable and a financial constraint. Essentially, I'm asking anyone out there to provide some hope that 180's and 4.0's aren't the only ones gaining admissions into these prestigious schools. Anyone out there with numbers well below reported means/medians willing to share a story of improbable admission? What were your softs? Should I just wait to pull up my GPA my senior year and apply the following year? (Upward grade trend and anticipating 3.5+ both semesters next year). HELP!

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Looking For Hope
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 03:21:58 PM »
What are your numbers

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 10:20:26 PM »
What are your numbers

exactly, we can't help you, OP, without knowing your numbers.

fwiw, however, a part of the reason I took a year off was so that I'd have the benefit of having all of my senior year grades available when the adcoms reviewed my app (mainly bc I knew I was going to kick ass senior year...and I did).
Columbia 3L

Imactuallya2Lnow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 07:25:28 AM »
FYI you don't necessarily have to go to a t14 to do biglaw in NY.  I go to a t-20 school and already have several interviews lined up with V50 firms in NY.  I mean, that is far from saying I will get an offer from one of them, but I think once you get an interview, I think your chances are basically as good as everyone else's, within reason.

Just a thought.

realitysets

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 10:47:36 AM »
I'll be a heavy splitter if I hold out for another year, no doubt. I'm probably going to apply to Fordham PT this fall with a 3.0, 150. And if I don't get in, finish my senior year and pull my GPA up. 14 people got in with these numbers according to Fordham's data on LSAC but chances are probably slim. May or may not have the help of Fordham trustee asking for careful review of my application and or pushing for my acceptance. My personal statement, according to my professor who has read it and others close to me, is nothing short of spectacular. But as we all know, that probably won't mean much in the grand scheme of things. 150 is horrible, I know, but I didn't really study much nor do I really have the motivation/funds to take it up again.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 11:05:38 AM »
Unless you retake the LSAT, I seriously doubt you will get into a t14, even if you wait a year and raise your GPA.  Aren't there grants based on financial need to help people take the LSAT?  Regardless, if your dream is a t14, you're going to have to suck it up and retake.  Taking a year off in addition to that would also probably help.

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 11:06:25 AM »
I'll be a heavy splitter if I hold out for another year, no doubt. I'm probably going to apply to Fordham PT this fall with a 3.0, 150. And if I don't get in, finish my senior year and pull my GPA up. 14 people got in with these numbers according to Fordham's data on LSAC but chances are probably slim. May or may not have the help of Fordham trustee asking for careful review of my application and or pushing for my acceptance. My personal statement, according to my professor who has read it and others close to me, is nothing short of spectacular. But as we all know, that probably won't mean much in the grand scheme of things. 150 is horrible, I know, but I didn't really study much nor do I really have the motivation/funds to take it up again.

Funds aside, lack of study and motivation says a lot, and not in a good way.  You need to "man up", study, get some motivation, and find a way to take it again.  Sorry if I sound mean, but I'm being honest. 

Personally, I wouldn't apply...I'd wait it out and get my gpa up if you don't plan on retaking the lsat.  You will need all of help you can get.
Columbia 3L

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 11:17:02 AM »
Unless you retake the LSAT, I seriously doubt you will get into a t14, even if you wait a year and raise your GPA.  Aren't there grants based on financial need to help people take the LSAT?  Regardless, if your dream is a t14, you're going to have to suck it up and retake.  Taking a year off in addition to that would also probably help.

Glad to see that we are in agreement.  I, too, thought there were need based grants...IIRC, you get to take the LSAT twice and get 4 LSDAS reports in additions to a shitload of fee waivers for apps.
Columbia 3L

realitysets

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 11:39:10 AM »
You are absolutely right, leaning towards taking a year off anyway, giving me ample time for a retake. Your brute honesty is much appreciated as it is something I have heard before. It was humbling in a sense, I had owned all previous standardized tests and here I was confronted with the LSAT, assuming it was of comparable fare to everything else I had seen, and I went in over confident and studied far less than I should have. I'll be enrolling in Testmasters for Feb exam of '09. 170+ here I come.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 11:41:24 AM »
Good luck :)