Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: advice on which schools to aim for  (Read 377 times)

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
advice on which schools to aim for
« on: July 14, 2008, 08:34:37 PM »
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: advice on which schools to aim for
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 09:00:08 PM »
I would first concentrate on getting as high of an LSAT as you can. It is much easier to ignore a lower gpa if you have a high lsat. Plus, many people have lower gpa's then yours so I wouldn't worry about it.

That said, you can't ignore it either. You will have to find a way to explain in your personal statement your lower gpa. Don't let the admissions committee make any assumptions about you. They are trying to paint a picture of you and you will want it to accurately reflect your true abilities. You had some terrible experiences. You need to be able to explain the effect they had on you without making the reader depressed. It has to be a uplifting story about overcoming obstacles or something like that. Make sure your tone is always inspirational without ever making it sound as if you are making excuses. Finally, make sure you have multiple people proof read your personal statement. You may think you have the right tone and have it all off.

Good luck!

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 09:07:07 PM »
I realize that this is one of those pieces of advice that is almost impossible to follow, but don't even think about what schools you can get into until you get your lsat score. It's just going to frustrate you  and create needless anxiety. Your goal is to get the best LSAT score possible, then take that score and look at what your options are. I know it is hard not to speculate so my advice is just don't "feed the beast." Don't look at any blogs, websites, or books about what law schools you can get into. Don't read threads on here about what school somebody can get into with these grades. All of this info will be there when you are done with the LSAT.

Mina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:24:45 PM »
Ok I was sorta like in your situation, its not good but should not be seen as bad.

first, you shold listen to yourself, because deep downyou know what is betsfor you.

If I knew your financial situation, your brains, your averages on practice LSAT's I could advise you better.

Here was me --> GPA 3.1 in philosophy and LSAT score of 151.

2 months of goin crazy (8-12 hour studying) --> LSAT 161, GPA 3.3

My belief, if I would have taken a year off to study LSAT would be at 170 or higher.

My mama disagrees with me, but I did average a 169 on a pactice test before the exam. So, you never know!

Further, law school = hard work, lots of stress, little life -- if your young take time to explore and study.

Realistically you should aim for a 170, take a year off (chill/study) and go to a top ten school, and explain your GPA situation in the letter. Rushing blind is never good in law school . 

70% of admissions are based on that test