Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Loans, loans, and more loans  (Read 697 times)

whoknows123

• View Profile
Loans, loans, and more loans
« on: July 14, 2008, 01:22:16 PM »
Ok guys, here's my situation.  Next year, I will be attending law school in the state where I live.  The tuition is just under 10,000 per year.  Estimated book cost is 1,300, and I have signed a lease to rent a house for 575 per month.  I have received the following aid package from the school.  8,500 per year in sub. staff. loans and 12,000 in unsub. loans.  In addition, I have been approved for 8,000 in Grad PLUS loans.  This total is a shade over the total cost of attendance for the school.  Also, my parents will be helping me out by paying my rent.  I am thinking about just taking advantage of the stafford loans?  What should I know about these loans (i.e. interest rates, payment plans, etc...)?  How much are the monthly payments for the unsub. if I immediately start paying interest.  Also, what kind of payments will I be looking at after I get out, assuming that I take out the max. staff. amount every year (20,500)?  Any help would be great.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Loans, loans, and more loans
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 04:56:49 PM »
All I can tell you is that Staffords have a 6.5% interest rate, you generally have 10 years to repay them after you graduate, repayment begins 6 months after graduation, and you already seem to know the difference between subsidized and unsubsidized loans.

For everything else, there's a ton of calculators out there that can give you an idea of what your payments will look like.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.