Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Biracial - make it known?  (Read 914 times)

GoneBabyGone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Biracial - make it known?
« on: July 14, 2008, 12:28:26 PM »
Some schools ask whether you are multracial. I am biracial (black and white), but I more strongly identify with my black heritage. I have always checked black on applications (whether for UG schools or jobs). The entire section is optional - would it be a red flag to only check "Black/African American" while ignoring the question about being multiracial?

On the flip side, would it dampen the boost I'd receive as an underrepresented minority if schools knew I was part overrepresented minority?

Would it be a bad idea to make mention of it in a diversity statement?

Some people have told me that if there is no reason to mention it then don't. Others have told me that all schools care about is what box you check when it asks for your specific ethnicity (since that is what they report). Checking multiracial or writing a DS about being multiracial doesn't change anything if you checked Black/African American

Has anyone faced a similar situation? How do you feel your choice affected your cycle?

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: Biracial - make it known?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 12:37:40 PM »
Some schools ask whether you are multracial. I am biracial (black and white), but I more strongly identify with my black heritage. I have always checked black on applications (whether for UG schools or jobs). The entire section is optional - would it be a red flag to only check "Black/African American" while ignoring the question about being multiracial?

On the flip side, would it dampen the boost I'd receive as an underrepresented minority if schools knew I was part overrepresented minority?

Would it be a bad idea to make mention of it in a diversity statement?

Some people have told me that if there is no reason to mention it then don't. Others have told me that all schools care about is what box you check when it asks for your specific ethnicity (since that is what they report). Checking multiracial or writing a DS about being multiracial doesn't change anything if you checked Black/African American
Has anyone faced a similar situation? How do you feel your choice affected your cycle?

As far as I can tell, the bolded seems to be correct.  I think that you should mention it if it's part of of what makes you diverse or is relevant to your statements.  You don't have to mention it, but you can if you want to.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

GoneBabyGone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 01:23:28 PM »
Any more thoughts?

Does a DS about being biracial lessen the URM boost you get in admissions even if you check "Black/African American" on all your applications and have Black/African American selected to show on Law School Reports?

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 01:31:14 PM »
I think it would make you MORE attractive, because presumably you've had a much different experience than blacks and whites separately. If you feel strongly about your identity in this way, I would definitely write about it. I highly doubt schools are going to dock you because you're half "overrepresented."