Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Recording lectures on a Mac  (Read 12896 times)

laughing hard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Recording lectures on a Mac
« on: July 14, 2008, 01:20:42 AM »
I was curious what program people used to record lectures (which I've been told is extremely helpful)...

Garageband? Something else?

I'm fairly new to using Macs, and I've never really played with the audio recording ability before. Thanks for your help!
UCLA Law Class of 2011

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
Re: Recording lectures on a Mac
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 01:46:11 AM »
don't bother record lectures.

GCoop.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 02:02:01 AM »
1.  Don't bother to record.
2.  If you do, OmniOutliner Pro features a record feature while you are taking notes.  I think Circus Ponies do.
3.  You'll never (ever) listen to them again.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 02:03:57 AM »
Quicktime has a very simple recording feature. If you want something with a little more power, for cutting out sections of the lecture for example. Try  Audacity:http://audacity.sourceforge.net/. If you don't like either of those there are many utilities available on the internet.

I haven't tried using Garageband for lectures, but it seems like it would be way overpowered. Quicktime is just a record button, and audacity has more options like garageband, but without all the complicated instruments and other stuff.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

Pearl

• Sr. Citizen
  • I AM THE LAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 11:48:36 AM »
I agree w/ others that you shouldn't bother recording the lectures. But if you must, MAKE SURE that you have the professor's approval first. You can get in deep *&^% for recording a lecture w/o asking the prof. Some won't care but some have a strict policy against it.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 06:42:01 PM »
I agree w/ others that you shouldn't bother recording the lectures. But if you must, MAKE SURE that you have the professor's approval first. You can get in deep *&^% for recording a lecture w/o asking the prof. Some won't care but some have a strict policy against it.

Seconded.  At my UG, I was in a class where this kid who was hearing-impaired asked to record the lecture (that was, coincidentally, being taught by a lawyer) so he could fill in the spaces without having to hold up the class and she said, flat out, "No."

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 02:54:30 AM »
Seconded.  At my UG, I was in a class where this kid who was hearing-impaired asked to record the lecture (that was, coincidentally, being taught by a lawyer) so he could fill in the spaces without having to hold up the class and she said, flat out, "No."

Never heard of that before.

Yeah, I was kind of shocked that she wouldn't even discuss it with him!

devonsan21

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 04:04:56 AM »
At first, like you, I was also curious on how to record lectures. But my friends told me about Mac. So now, when I record lectures I usually use Microsoft word notebook. The notebook is a really easy to use for lectures and has a record feature built into it.

devonsan21

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 04:06:46 AM »
At first, like you, I was also curious on how to record lectures. But my friends told me about Mac. So now, when i record lectures i usually use Microsoft word notebook. the notebook is a really easy to take notes for lectures and has a record feature built into it.

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 10:23:40 AM »
Recording lectures is a waste of your time.