Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Review Write on at Boalt  (Read 704 times)

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Law Review Write on at Boalt
« on: July 13, 2008, 06:48:35 PM »
has anybody participated in the transfer write on competition for the
California Law Review in the past and have any knowledge about the
process. I am interested in about how many transfer students they
take. The competition is at the worst possible time.
Boalt Hall '10

qmmm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law Review Write on at Boalt
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 08:09:47 PM »
I haven't participated in the transfer write-on comp for CLR nor know the answers to the questions you ask, but from what I understand the packet is smaller and not meant to take as much time to complete as the one handed out at the end of the 1L year.

If the transfer write-on comp has the same three components (case note, bluebooking, diversity statement), nothing is preventing you from doing the diversity statement now.  The CLR staff actually suggests this to the 1Ls during the orientation meeting.  Your transfer PS will probably be a good start.

Also, if you have interest in any of the secondary journals, then keep those in mind as well.  They're always welcoming of new members. Occasionally there's a chance to be an editor depending on how the journal is staffed or if someone drops a commitment to another journal after they find out that they wrote onto CLR.

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 10:14:49 PM »
I haven't participated in the transfer write-on comp for CLR nor know the answers to the questions you ask, but from what I understand the packet is smaller and not meant to take as much time to complete as the one handed out at the end of the 1L year.

If the transfer write-on comp has the same three components (case note, bluebooking, diversity statement), nothing is preventing you from doing the diversity statement now.  The CLR staff actually suggests this to the 1Ls during the orientation meeting.  Your transfer PS will probably be a good start.

Also, if you have interest in any of the secondary journals, then keep those in mind as well.  They're always welcoming of new members. Occasionally there's a chance to be an editor depending on how the journal is staffed or if someone drops a commitment to another journal after they find out that they wrote onto CLR.

Thanks for the advice.  glad to hear that it isn't quite as time intensive as the normal write on.  When you say diversity statement do you mean sort of a general personal statement as to why you want to be on clr or you only write it if you add a diversity element.  Kind of like those asked on some law school applications.  I am not very diverse so I wouldn't have much to write about if that is what they are asking for.

Also, the way I understand is there isn't a competition to be on something like the Business Law Review.  Anybody can join.  Is that correct?

Thanks for the help.
Boalt Hall '10

qmmm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 11:45:51 PM »
As for the diversity statement, it's basically what you bring to the table that makes you unique.  It could the the socioeconomic, racial or ethic component that most people would probably think of, but it doesn't have to be.  It could also be an intellectual or academic accomplishment.  If you worked before school, those skills and accomplishments are also fair game.  If you've studied or worked abroad, that could be the source of a diversity statement. 

If goaliechica is around, she could probably give you more solid advice or suggestions.  Unlike myself (who would rather work for my secondary journal than CLR), goalie bothered with the competition.

No.  There are no competitions for the other journals.  That's what I meant by "They're always welcoming of new members."  I more meant to point out that if you're interested in doing journal work and would also like to have some editor responsibility, there may be space.  For the journal that I'm part of, the outgoing EIC was a transfer and this coming year one of the executive editors was a transfer.  And for my journal, you can't have an exec board position w/o having previously been on the editorial board.

I'll give you another reason that a secondary journal may be a good thing to look into.  It's a good way for transfers to meet people. 

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 02:13:20 AM »
As for the diversity statement, it's basically what you bring to the table that makes you unique.  It could the the socioeconomic, racial or ethic component that most people would probably think of, but it doesn't have to be.  It could also be an intellectual or academic accomplishment.  If you worked before school, those skills and accomplishments are also fair game.  If you've studied or worked abroad, that could be the source of a diversity statement. 

Yup. And it wasn't optional for the regular write-on, so just that much more work.

If goaliechica is around, she could probably give you more solid advice or suggestions.  Unlike myself (who would rather work for my secondary journal than CLR), goalie bothered with the competition.

Heh. I started it, but didn't finish it, a decision which I am immensely pleased with in retrospect.

No.  There are no competitions for the other journals.  That's what I meant by "They're always welcoming of new members."  I more meant to point out that if you're interested in doing journal work and would also like to have some editor responsibility, there may be space.  For the journal that I'm part of, the outgoing EIC was a transfer and this coming year one of the executive editors was a transfer.  And for my journal, you can't have an exec board position w/o having previously been on the editorial board.qu

I'll give you another reason that a secondary journal may be a good thing to look into.  It's a good way for transfers to meet people. 

Subject journals are open to everyone. You just have to meet the membership requirements, which are  usually not so bad. And I heartily second qmmm's last piece of advice. Subject journals are a major component of the social scene, for whatever reason, and a really good way to make friends and meet people.

It is also definitely less competitive to get an editorial position on a subject journal than it is to get on the board of CLR. Law review of course still carries the most weight with employers and judges who care about these things, but being on the board of another journal isn't a bad way to demonstrate leadership and writing ability. 
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.