Law School Discussion

Firm Social Life: Necessary Sports Knowledge?

Re: Firm Social Life: Necessary Sports Knowledge?
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 02:40:56 PM »
What firm social life?  It may be useful for interviewing and summer events.  But at most firms, attorneys don't really talk to each other about non-work related topics.

What firms are you basing this off of?  Every firm I've worked at, or hung out with people from has been pretty social. 

The Knight

• Not URM, just dark. I know...it's weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 03:12:06 PM »
Why not just be true to yourself? If you don't like organized sports than why try to learn about them just to fit in? Or, if you do have an interest than just start watching the games and it will start to click.

Quoted from above:
I know very little about Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association, the National Hockey League, and the National Football League.  I tend to prefer college sports when I watch or view go to a game.  However, I tire of not being (at least a little bit) knowledgeable about the major professional sports leagues/teams.

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 03:55:37 PM »
Sports is a pretty common topic of conversation at my firm this summer. I am not a huge sports fan, other than MLB, but I understand the rules, know the local teams and can keep up with the conversation. My knowledge of baseball has come in handy several times this summer since we've been going to baseball games.

It can't hurt to watch ESPN SportsCenter or check the web to just get an idea of the teams and the main highlights of recent games or other things going on. It's like reading the newspaper or watching the news so you can speak intelligently about current events.