Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Online degree and getting a job.  (Read 2631 times)

Law Claw

• View Profile
    • Email
Online degree and getting a job.
« on: July 13, 2008, 02:30:22 AM »
Im thinking of attending an online school and would like to hear from alum(bar graduates) on how their
job search is going. Of course I live in California. Concord, Taft, Northwestern, Oakbrook....What difficulities and biases did you face in the marketplace? Did you have to network excessively? Even if you only got a job that normally just JD's do or whatever, Id like to hear from you. I know a lot of online grads couple their degree with another discipline and seek patent law, etc. I however, would not have such an advantage. Please share, but mainly looking for graduates who are now working at least fairly exclusively in law. Online student who are clerking...would love to hear from you as well. THANKS.

ABA school students: I for one appreciate your hard work and ability to get into a school I could not. You only deserve commendation and praise for your success and efforts. Please, however, avoid posting negative or sarcastic comments on my post. If you have serious, valid points as to the folly of an online degree though, I would read them with due consideration.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
Re: Online degree and getting a job.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 05:10:25 AM »
This may or may not be helpful, but we had a "what lawyers do and how they practice" day (or some such) at my school and one of the speakers had a job with a non profit who encouraged her to get a JD, sit for the bar, and then keep working for the non-profit in a legal capacity.  So that's pretty much what she did.  I believe she self-studied.  She seemed very happy.

Now, that said, I'm pretty sure that employment in this situation would require simply pounding the pavement to get someone interested in you.  I don't know if there is stigma (I don't hire anyone) but what is clear is that one's school's reputation proceeds them, which is absolutely a part of employment consideration. 

I would be interested in seeing how many people who attend non-ABA accredited schools end up hanging a shingle after school (or a couple years as a clerk of a solo or small group).  In the end, though, I would assume that it amounts to knowing someone and/or impressing them with your work product.  Like any job.
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

Undisputed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 04:36:08 PM »
I like that name "Law Claw".... :D

YOUR THE LAW CLAAAWWWW!!! :D

Law Claw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 02:14:41 AM »
Uh Thx. I was torn between that and "Cole Law Slaw, Law Crawfish, and SA-LAW-MI."

justjeffrey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 09:48:39 AM »
Uh Thx. I was torn between that and "Cole Law Slaw, Law Crawfish, and SA-LAW-MI."

I digg the name SA-LAW-MI...thats funny.