Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it worthwhile for me to hire a tutor?  (Read 640 times)

Dionysus0

• View Profile
Is it worthwhile for me to hire a tutor?
« on: July 12, 2008, 01:52:56 AM »
My current situation is as follows:

I took the June 2008 LSAT and received a 155. I immediately registered for the October LSAT after seeing my score. My most recent practice test scores before the June LSAT between 158-160 and still are there.

I have started to make significant gains in the Logic Games sections (4 or less wrong in each section), the more games I do the easier they get. Logical reasoning is about the same as what it was at the test about 5 wrong on each section, marginal improvement. I am getting hammered in the Reading Comp section, 13 wrong on the test and about 7 wrong average on the practice tests. I have went through both the Powerscore LR and Games books as well as the Superprep.

My goal is to get in the mid 160's or higher if possible. My current plan of action is take a practice test (10 untouched remaining) once a week and review it and go through the remaining LR and Games sections to practice 2-3 hours each weekday and 8-10 hours on Saturday and Sunday.

Could a tutor offer me additional insight other than to practice more, and point out why a particular answer is wrong, which I can usually figure out by myself after the fact? Would I get a good return on my investment with the $100 hourly fee that is charged?

Thanks for any information/help.

Tracy T

• I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down !
    • AOL Instant Messenger - theebmonique
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is it worthwhile for me to hire a tutor?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 01:57:48 AM »
Try what is suggested in this link. Bernie has some great practice/review pointers.
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,90343.0.html

Brent_Vargas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 02:57:53 PM »
I have the same question as the OP and am in a very similar situation. I got a 154 in June but had been averaging 158-160 on the practice exams. I would like to shoot for 166 on the October exam.

Can anyone recommend a good tutor in NYC? There are plenty of tutor sites out there, but I would like to go with someone that's recommended.

Thanks.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 06:47:18 PM »
FWIW, I think 99% of tutors (and admissions consultants) are frauds that prey upon the weak and you're probably better off taking a class or doing your own thing. Again, just my two cents.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

valjean

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 06:57:13 PM »
FWIW, I think 99% of tutors (and admissions consultants) are frauds that prey upon the weak and you're probably better off taking a class or doing your own thing. Again, just my two cents.

I would agree to be cautious, but I think Ninja's estimate is a little high. I met with a tutor I found online and he was incredibly knowledgable. I decided not to stick with continued tutoring because of the expense, but if you're the type of person who learns well in that type of situation, it couldn't hurt to see who's out there.

On the other hand, if there are courses that are still available for Oct., it seems to me you have enough room for improvement to benefit from one, and you could have more confidence in the good prep companies.
Not applying until next cycle...

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 07:18:24 PM »

I would agree to be cautious, but I think Ninja's estimate is a little high. I met with a tutor I found online and he was incredibly knowledgable. I decided not to stick with continued tutoring because of the expense, but if you're the type of person who learns well in that type of situation, it couldn't hurt to see who's out there.

On the other hand, if there are courses that are still available for Oct., it seems to me you have enough room for improvement to benefit from one, and you could have more confidence in the good prep companies.

It probably is, but then again, I have much in the way of contempt and malice for my fellow man.

valjean

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 07:19:23 PM »

It probably is, but then again, I have much in the way of contempt and malice for my fellow man.

Some would say that'll be an asset in your practice of law. I like to keep my outlook a bit more upbeat..
Not applying until next cycle...

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 07:27:20 PM »

Some would say that'll be an asset in your practice of law. I like to keep my outlook a bit more upbeat..

I think it will serve me well. I'm actually a very positive, happy, and optimistic person. I just tend to think that most people are constantly conspiring against me, and I return the favor.