Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Corporate law opportunities in Nashville  (Read 258 times)

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
Corporate law opportunities in Nashville
« on: July 11, 2008, 11:04:02 PM »
Unlike some (probably most) students considering attending Vanderbilt, I actually hope to live in Nashville someday and wouldn't mind at all ending up there.  My question is this- how does a Vandy degree stack up in Nashville, what percentage of Vandy grads stay in Nashville, and what kind of opportunities are there for a Vandy grad there?  I realize many of you don't know the area- however, surely some of you can provide some input.
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

MaxtoneFour

• View Profile
Re: Corporate law opportunities in Nashville
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 11:12:45 PM »
I'm a rising 2L at Vandy. Vandy cleans up in Nashville.

One caveat, though. If you don't have ties to the area, you probably won't get a firm job in Nashville your 1L summer. I know this because I didn't get one, despite having a 3.9x after the first semester. The Nashville market is very insular.
East 1999 is where you'll find me.

2L at Vanderbilt University Law School (Class of 2010)

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 07:17:11 AM »
Out of curiousity, would a degree from WKU (55 miles away from Nashville) and the fact that I am a diehard Predators fan get me anywhere?  What are the best ways to create ties (perceptual or real) in a city that you have never lived in?

University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

MaxtoneFour

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 11:13:13 AM »
Out of curiousity, would a degree from WKU (55 miles away from Nashville) and the fact that I am a diehard Predators fan get me anywhere?  What are the best ways to create ties (perceptual or real) in a city that you have never lived in?

I think you'll be fine. Being from Bowling Green can't hurt your chances.

I'm from Illinois, so Nashville firms were leery of me during 1L OCI/callbacks. I don't know if there's any convincing way to demonstrate your commitment to the area--hell, I even bought a house in Nashville and no one seemed to care!
East 1999 is where you'll find me.

2L at Vanderbilt University Law School (Class of 2010)