Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Some help in choosing classes  (Read 745 times)

Mina

• View Profile
Some help in choosing classes
« on: July 11, 2008, 03:05:25 PM »
Hi, I want to be a criminal defense attorney, and I have questions.

Q. I'm registered for 17 cedits, should I NOT do this?

Q. I am registered for a 2 credit LLC class, and have not taken corporations, should I NOT do this?

Thats all, all the best. -MG

ouffha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Some help in choosing classes
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 03:07:20 PM »
Take corporations first.

Mina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 03:16:38 PM »
why?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 03:39:11 PM »
1.  What credits are they?  Are there some unnecessary classes there?  Where is your GPA now (do you need to raise it or just maintain it?).  Even though you're not gunning for BIGLAW, overloading yourself and damaging your gpa won't help in any job search.  And do you need all of the credits in order to do an internship or field placement (like evidence, etc.)?  Because working towards getting into courtroom asap will be extremely helpful for you.

2.  I'd also say take either Agency/Partnership or Corporations first.  LCCs are a hybrid entity, and having a working knowledge of the 2 basic building blocs of the LLC will be a huge help.  And if you want to do criminal defense, a class on LLCs may not be all that helpful for you in the long run (I think this is true even if you were interested in white collar crime - LLCs affect tort and K liability, not criminal liabilty, at least according to my limited knowledge of LLCs gained from Bar/Bri).

Mina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 03:59:20 PM »
Here is my list:

evidence: 4 credits

crim pro 1:  3 credits

Business crimes and corporate litigation: 2 credits

Appellate advocacy: 2 credits

LLC,Agency partnership: 2 credits

Torts: 4 credits

I want to take LLC, since I plan on starting my own firm/partnership 1 year after law school.
The idea of working 12-16 hour for someone else sickens me.

Do you think I am taking too many classes this semester, if anything I could take LLC/Partnership next semester with corporations/ fed. income taxation. That would be 10, and I can throw in a clinic with crim pro II. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 06:18:51 PM »
If I were in your position, I'd drop the LLC class and take it next semester.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 09:39:45 PM »

I want to take LLC, since I plan on starting my own firm/partnership 1 year after law school.

#1 Take Corporations first or concurrently with LLC.
#2 As far as I'm aware professional firms (like law firms) can't use LLCs.  At least in my state, you can be an LLP or a Professional Corporation, but not an LLC.   <I don't know if this is a universal rule.>

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 11:33:37 PM »
Here is my list:

evidence: 4 credits

crim pro 1:  3 credits

Business crimes and corporate litigation: 2 credits

Appellate advocacy: 2 credits

LLC,Agency partnership: 2 credits

Torts: 4 credits

Do you think I am taking too many classes this semester, if anything I could take LLC/Partnership next semester with corporations/ fed. income taxation. That would be 10, and I can throw in a clinic with crim pro II. 

I took 17 and 16 my last two spring semesters, but one of those three credit courses was with a professor known as "Easy A (omitting last name)." So aside from the 2-3 days it took me to write the paper for the course, I essentially had 14 and 13 credits those semesters.

I'd def replace agency with something easier this semester. Your next semester, while your three courses are going to be more difficult in nature, it's only 10 credits worth of gut classes in addition to your clinic. And is crim pro really a two-semester course? 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 11:53:23 PM »
A lot of school split crim pro into 2 semesters.  At my school, Crim Pro 1 is Investigation, covering primarily 4th, 5th and 6th Amdt (essentially, everything up until indictment).  Crim Pro 2 is Adjudication, covering prosecution and appeal.

Mina

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 03:45:28 AM »
Thank for the feedback so far,

I think I am gong to drop LLC, Agency and partnership

and take fed. crim. Investigations with this crim. law judge on a pass/fail option.

Just another queston, does taking something on a pass/fail option look bad on a transcript?

Also, I would have taken corprations this sesmster, but most of the professors are not that chill, an the only cool one ( he clrked for Blackmun) offers his class at 9 am,TTH, ufortunately those two days I have torts at night, I think it would overstress me doing that.