Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ranks on OCI Resume  (Read 1670 times)

dukedogalley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Ranks on OCI Resume
« on: July 11, 2008, 03:02:54 PM »
Are class ranks expected to be on a resume submitted for OCI?  I know OCS says it is our decision, but I just wasn't sure if it is normal to keep it an unremarkable rank on there.  I am barely outside the top 15% at a T2, and I think just listing my GPA would look better than the GPA followed by a rank which it outide the top 15%...any thoughts? 

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
Re: Ranks on OCI Resume
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 03:16:06 PM »

I don't think it really matters.  If you don't put a rank, the firms will know that it's because you don't have a rank that you want to brag about.  I think that a GPA in a vacuum doesn't help, because if they don't know your curve, they won' t know if you're top 16%, or if you're top 40% without some guidance from you.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 03:18:53 PM »

I don't think it really matters.  If you don't put a rank, the firms will know that it's because you don't have a rank that you want to brag about.  I think that a GPA in a vacuum doesn't help, because if they don't know your curve, they won' t know if you're top 16%, or if you're top 40% without some guidance from you.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 03:46:47 PM »
Are class ranks expected to be on a resume submitted for OCI?  I know OCS says it is our decision, but I just wasn't sure if it is normal to keep it an unremarkable rank on there.  I am barely outside the top 15% at a T2, and I think just listing my GPA would look better than the GPA followed by a rank which it outide the top 15%...any thoughts? 

It depends on how your school allows you to list ranks.  Do you have to put YOUR rank specifically (like top 33%), OR can you give your gpa and then the stats for top 15 and the next highest rank you fall within (e.g. GPA: 2.48; Top 15% - 3.5; Top 20% - 3.3)

This way, when you put your gpa down, they'll see you just barely missed top 15%.  My school at one point let people do this (don't know if we still can).  But check with yours, and see if that would work.  It'd let you tell employers where you're at and how close you are to a desirable cut off.

dukedogalley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 04:06:38 PM »
I spoke with OCS and they emphasized that the decision to put rank on my resume is totally up to me, but if I do decide to put it on there it needs to go on like this: 32/200.  Some of the firms I am applying to prefer top 15% or top 20%, I am not worried about being 1% outside there criteria, I just don't necessarily know if I should draw attention to it on the resume...

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 04:25:45 PM »
I spoke with OCS and they emphasized that the decision to put rank on my resume is totally up to me, but if I do decide to put it on there it needs to go on like this: 32/200.  Some of the firms I am applying to prefer top 15% or top 20%, I am not worried about being 1% outside there criteria, I just don't necessarily know if I should draw attention to it on the resume...

Employers doing OCI at your school may know that a x.xx GPAis good, but they may not. I would assume that they don't, and put your rank. If they don't they may think your GPA is a lower rank than it is. Don't let them asssume, its just as likley they will assume something bad rather than good.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

dukedogalley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 05:34:06 PM »

Employers doing OCI at your school may know that a x.xx GPAis good, but they may not. I would assume that they don't, and put your rank. If they don't they may think your GPA is a lower rank than it is. Don't let them asssume, its just as likley they will assume something bad rather than good.

That is true, but couldnt employers also assume the GPA is a higher rank...for the first time this past year my school bumped the curve to 3.2....I am not trying to hide my rank, just not sure if a should draw attention to it when it isn't great.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 05:42:47 PM »

That is true, but couldnt employers also assume the GPA is a higher rank...for the first time this past year my school bumped the curve to 3.2....I am not trying to hide my rank, just not sure if a should draw attention to it when it isn't great.

Yea, they could, but they could also assume its lower, I guess I always look on the dark side, if they assume its higher great, BUT if they assume its lower, poo. If your top 30% or better I would put it on there. My school is like yours: GPA, rank then xx/xxx is all they want on there. Plus if its on there and you still get a call then you know its not a big deal to them. But dow aht you think is best, me I'd just think they were always going to short me, so I put it on there.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 06:23:47 PM »

Extremely, extremely unlikely.  If you have a great rank, you're absolutely going to put it on your resume.  There's no reason why you wouldn't, b/c it's an asset in your job search.  If you don't have a great rank, you're more likely to leave it off so you're emphasizing the good and trying to avoid them seeing anything negative on your resume.

Therefore, if an employer sees no rank, they're most likely going to assume it's crappy.

You're rank is good; you're just outside top 15%.  I'd put it on.

dukedogalley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 06:33:13 PM »
good points, thanks to both of you for the help.