Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OCI advice for 2Ls.  (Read 9010 times)

kid kenosha

• View Profile
Re: OCI advice for 2Ls.
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2008, 11:06:10 AM »
Let me clarify - of course I think you should project interest in the law and not just sports or whatever.  The absolute key is to project a willingness to work hard as part of a team, and part of this involves being easy going and likable - genuinely having an open mind bc you might be asked to work on a corporate deal or a lit matter or whatever in between.  You should convey to the interviewer that above all youll do the task with an open mind and enthusiam to learn any area of the law.  Dont appear uptight and narrow in your interests it does not make you look focused it makes you look like a person who would be hard to work with.  Again this all depends on the interviewer but being comfortable talking about sports etc can be an important part of conveying this.  Keep in mind you have 20 minutes to get this person to like you so a lot easier to take a few minutes talking about sports to show you are a sociable/well rounded person than something you could get into if you had more time - also these jobs are corporate as in corporate america - meaning a certain degree of conformity desired  and interest in popular sports conveys conveys this also

And the walton book - yeah its been a few years since ive looked at it honestly but I did find some of it genuinely useful

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2008, 12:06:37 PM »
I interviewed (and was hired) for in-house clerkships with corporations.  Typically, the interview is a little different, because they use the more common "behavioral" interview that corporate America is falling in love with.  I've also had a few behavioral questions when interviewing with government agencies.  Just in case you didn't know, there is a widely-suggested format for answering the questions.  You shouldn't sound like your answers are memorized, but in your response, the interviewer is looking for specific examples and explanations of your behavior in the past.  I usually think of about 5 or 6 "canned" scenarios or problems in my past jobs that I can draw from when answering these questions, but my response is not memorized and I make sure that it is responsive to the question.   

The behavioral question will ask, "Tell me about a time that you did xyz" or "Describe an instance where you had to (use some quality, like persuasion, problem solving, conflict resolution with peers, etc)."  The interviewer is looking for specific examples of something you've done, on the theory that what and how you've done something is a better predictor of your aptitude for the job than just saying what you think about something. 

So, the answer should be specific.  In your answer, remember "S.T.A.R." 

Explain the SITUATION (background, context, a little something to explain why you had to act.
Explain what your TASK was.
Explain your ACTIONS in resolving the situation (This is probably the most important)
What was the RESULT.  What did you learn, how did it help, anything quantifiable, was there follow-up, etc. 

Good interviewers will prompt you once or twice if you veer off course.  Take that as a cue that you're missing something and get back on track. 

kid kenosha

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2008, 01:21:34 PM »
I agree prodigy - had meant to give props to lawman also.  This is great example of showing team player, open mind, enthusiasm, etc

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2008, 10:22:09 PM »
tag
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 10:20:43 AM »
i do agree you shouldnt say at the interview "i want to do litigation. that's it" but what i was trying to bring across in my first post is that you should know a little background on each so that when you say "I don't know enough to make an informed decisions" you can follow it up about what INTERESTS you about each one so you sound informed and more importantly enthusiastic about learning about both.  this means do a little research on what being in either of those two practice areas mean b/c like Jacy said you will get asked that question 38million times.
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

tribelaw

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 10:36:50 AM »
after OCI, what is the procedure for callbacks?  I get that firms invite you to their office for dinner/cocktail party and some interviews, but it seems that it would take forever to visit a bunch of different offices.  Do Firms generally work on the same time schedule to facilitate multiple call back interviews per trip to a city?  If you get one callback, do you call others and let them know you'll be in town to see if they want to interview you again?  I can imagine the job search being highly intrusive to school work.

Imactuallya2Lnow

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 11:10:55 AM »
Anyone know how hard it is to actually snag a job from a job fair instead of OCI?  I'm assuming the odds are lower, since the firm doesn't even bother to actually come to your school, but makes you come there instead, but I'm just curious.

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 01:49:02 PM »
i dunno, I got my current SA gig from a job fair..
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

Jmart603

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 01:58:44 PM »
Anyone know how hard it is to actually snag a job from a job fair instead of OCI?  I'm assuming the odds are lower, since the firm doesn't even bother to actually come to your school, but makes you come there instead, but I'm just curious.

i don't think it would be, if you get selected for an interview at a job fair after the resume screening, i would think your odds are just as good. you have to remember you'll be competing with people from other schools, so maybe if you go to a school not ranked well, youre competition might be people from all better schools, which I suppose could make it tougher, but i think if the firm decides to interview you, they have a real interest in you and you have as good a chance as getting a job as anybody else.

tribelaw

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2008, 08:37:18 PM »
Thanks yellow,

I have one more follow up question.  Once an individual gets to the callback interview stage, what are the odds at landing an offer?  1/2? 1/4? 1/10?  I'm aware that there is no real answer, but i'm just curious if there is still a lot of people in the running for each spot.

Thanks!