Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Iranian Threat?  (Read 11638 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
The Iranian Threat?
« on: July 10, 2008, 01:56:05 PM »
What do people think of this? 

As a preliminary matter, are they a threat to us?
To our allies?

What should we do if they attack Israel?
If Israel preemptively attacks them?

I do not want to go to war and I do not want Iran to threaten our allies, including Israel.
When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: The Iranian Threat?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 03:50:05 PM »
not let warmongers and news media think for you.

u.s. test missiles, too, right?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 07:40:53 PM »
Yeah, I'm not a warmonger at all.  It isnt that they tested missiles, but it is a combination of their rhetoric and missile testing.  The last thing I want is a war with Iran
When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 08:21:36 AM »
how iranian rhetoric possibly any worse than american rhetoric?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 01:17:19 PM »
Hillary Clinton aside, I havent heard anything from the US that sounds belligerent. Maybe you have

From them, I hear them threatening our staunch ally Israel every chance they get, saying they'll wipe them from the map, etc.

ace0260

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 01:43:23 PM »
you should do some research before you buy a gas mask for the impending war.

im not going to bother explaining why this war will never happen but i will make a quick point about our "staunch ally" Israel.

Besides the U.S., Israel may be the most frequently censured state by the U.N., Amnesty International, and other transnational bodies. They do what they please in a very sensitive region, and yes unilateralism pisses people off.

As for Iran's rhetoric about Israel...much of it concerns the fact that Iran and Israel are the two strongest powers in the region: this is less of an ideology war and more of a reflection of geopolitical dynamics.

For those that believe Iran is inherently antisemetic I don't necessarily blame you since this kind of material is golden for the media. If you actually bother to look into it you'll find that Iran has the Middle East's second largest population of Jews who have lived there since their emancipation by Cyrus. They are one of the oldest Jewish commmunities in the world and their rights are protected by even the current Islamic government. In fact, a Jewish delegate must be present in the legislature. You have to understand that the incumbent President is a populist, and anyone who has taken a poli sci class will understand that populism is a frightening force because it rallies the mob (who are often lower class) by scapegoating. His scapegoats are not Jews necessarily but what he refers to as "Zionists": Imperialist, outsider Jews. And given the way Israel conducts business it may not be a surprise that he correlates imperialism with unilateralism. Once again, the issue comes back to sovereign power in the region (and not necessarily outright bigotry).

Even though the Iranian President is considered a jackass who will not be reelected I just wanted to highlight some points that the average newswatching American neither knows nor possibly cares to know. This is all political rhetoric in a much more tense environment. And yes, we fire off our own rhetoric just as much.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 01:56:35 PM »
Hillary Clinton aside, I havent heard anything from the US that sounds belligerent. Maybe you have

From them, I hear them threatening our staunch ally Israel every chance they get, saying they'll wipe them from the map, etc.

well,start with these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9BNQ5QpUdY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SbIOim8XjQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xJDgck6m7U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QjHtel8lqQ&feature=related

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 02:56:30 AM »
...our real problem...who is the commander in chief???
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 12:14:47 PM »
more like your problem, numbnuts.

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 05:18:12 PM »
ah ace - you said everything I wanted to say regarding this issue. Cheers for being more eloquent and saving me typing something out for ten minutes and then hitting the 'back' button because I couldn't be bothered to post it.  ;)