Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I want to practice in immigrant-heavy Boston/NY, but are cheaper options better?  (Read 1058 times)

mooshiecat

• View Profile
    • Email
For the record, it was Idaho, not Iowa. Two completely different things. Ha! My mistake!

And speaking of Idaho, I just spoke with them about my situation. They upped the offer and will now cover 100% of tuition. Greeeeaat. I thought I had my mind made up! Ah!

I'm not DEAD SET on going to New York or Boston. I just simply want to go to a diverse place where a public interest immigration lawyer will have work to do. Ya know? Bailey, if you're right, then it really comes down to asking which of the two have more value: nearly no debt from Idaho even though I don't want to practice in that region, but hopefully finding work outside with the right networking? Or CUNY which is a better fit for me but will cost me some money. Hmmm. I just don't want to be stuck in Idaho! No offense...I mean, we wouldn't have french fries without Idaho potatoes. So much love to Idaho.

mooshiecat

• View Profile
    • Email
I've been poking around with some numbers today. According to my budget, it seems like a CUNY Law degree will cost me $75,000. An Idaho Law degree will cost me about $25k.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmm

richardblaine

• View Profile
    • Email
I just simply want to go to a diverse place where a public interest immigration lawyer will have work to do.

This is not Idaho.  For your interests, I would still strongly recommend CUNY.  I think the environment and job options for you are worth 50K.

bgc

• View Profile
Idaho might have more immigration issues than you think. It is not, of course, anything like Boston or New York (I know all three well), but there's a significant number of migrant workers and the largest Basque population in the world outside the Basque Country.

Moscow is a great town and Idaho has the most wilderness of any state apart from Alaska. It's an incredible state (and NOTHING like Iowa).

None of this is to say that Idaho is the right choice over CUNY. I just wanted to speak up for the Vandals.

pete.

• View Profile
    • Email
i too would like to speak up for idaho, since i'm going there this fall. like you, i did my undergrad in VA (at UVA- while charlottesville is not as diverse as nova, it certainly is in comparison to the rest of the state). if you like the outdoors and a place free of distractions so that you can focus on school you'll be just fine in moscow. and while it may not be a very diverse place, the fact that it's different from what you're accustomed to can definitely be a unique and challenging experience which can't hurt your future as a lawyer. idaho won't offer the same job opportunities where you want to work, but having to work your way into those markets may be worth $50,000. on the other hand, UI has a lock on the idaho market and you may be suprised (i was) to find out that boise is comparable in size to spokane, wa or richmond, va and growing at a lightning fast pace (doubled in size in the last 20 years or so) -- if immigration is not an issue now, it soon will be.

Further, if you consider staying in idaho an option, think about this: over the last thirty years, the law school has remained roughly the same size, while the population of the state has more than doubled. each year, UI produces 115 law grads, of which 60% (as quoted by the admissions department) remain in the state. that means when you graduate, you'll be competing with about 70 people for entry level jobs in the state of idaho. i like those odds...

richardblaine

• View Profile
    • Email
I'm not trying to knock Idaho, but Martindale only lists six immigration attorneys in the entire state, and there were only 17 minority students in last year's 1L class.  The OP cited diversity and job opportunities in immigration law has his/her top priorities.

You know, I'm just saying...

pete.

• View Profile
    • Email
17? out of 115? more than i would have guessed... not saying go to idaho, just offering an alternate perspective. $50k is huge when you're starting out in PI work paying $30k.

(and what about all those canucks sneaking their way across the northern border?)