Law School Discussion

Michigan + $49,000, or Chicago?

baileypicks24

• You have food, a roof, and security. Shut up.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Michigan + $49,000, or Chicago?
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2008, 09:26:08 AM »
Have you visited both schools?  You can't go wrong with either school.  (And sorry, but Chicago is definitely not the Harvard of the Midwest.  Harvard is the Michigan of the East.)

This is reminiscent of the East Coast/West Coast rap battles of the 90s. Heh.

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2008, 09:28:43 AM »
Have you visited both schools?  You can't go wrong with either school.  (And sorry, but Chicago is definitely not the Harvard of the Midwest.  Harvard is the Michigan of the East.)

This is reminiscent of the East Coast/West Coast rap battles of the 90s. Heh.

GCoop.

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2008, 09:31:06 AM »
I've never heard of anyone getting shot heading home from the quad in Ann Arbor.

OK, that's kind of unfair.  Both schools are fantastic.  Marginally-to-significantly better chances at academia/clerkships from Chicago than from Michigan.  More externship type opportunities too, being in Chicago instead of Ann Arbor. 

The schools couldn't be more different in terms of character.  Visit both (though it's hard now when it's just summers here and probably no one in Chicago) and see where you get the better vibe.

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2008, 09:32:41 AM »
I've never heard of anyone getting shot heading home from the quad in Ann Arbor.

OK, that's kind of unfair.  Both schools are fantastic.  Marginally-to-significantly better chances at academia/clerkships from Chicago than from Michigan.  More externship type opportunities too, being in Chicago instead of Ann Arbor. 

The schools couldn't be more different in terms of character.  Visit both (though it's hard now when it's just summers here and probably no one in Chicago) and see where you get the better vibe.

Hey!  What do you mean, "just summers?"  What more do you need?   :o

GCoop.

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2008, 09:38:35 AM »

Eh.  It'd be more fun for them to come when everyone's back, and the summers, who had the run of the place for a few months, suddenly feel like the low (wo)men on the totem pole, shocked that they no longer have control of the asylum.  Then the summers start looking around for someone to feel superior to, so they look down upon the new 1L's.  But the new 1L's are being pampered and payed attention to, and the summers resent this even more.

Just you wait.

« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2008, 10:28:09 AM »

Eh.  It'd be more fun for them to come when everyone's back, and the summers, who had the run of the place for a few months, suddenly feel like the low (wo)men on the totem pole, shocked that they no longer have control of the asylum.  Then the summers start looking around for someone to feel superior to, so they look down upon the new 1L's.  But the new 1L's are being pampered and payed attention to, and the summers resent this even more.

Just you wait.

<----sad   :-[

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2008, 10:45:53 AM »
they're both great options. at this point, it really should come down to where you feel you'd fit in; $50,000 isn't enough to compensate you if you think chicago is a better fit; and the slight prestige benefit with chicago isn't enough to overcome being miserable here for three years.

if possible, i would visit both campuses. i know plenty of 1Ls and 2Ls are still in chicago during the summer and i'm sure the admissions can hook you up with some of them. i've generally found chicago students to go out of their way to show incoming 1Ls/prospectives around (i had some poor prospective crashing on my floor in my ghetto studio apartment when they sent out a plea for a few more ASW student hosts). i'm sure michigan would be able to do something comparable.

i really don't think you can make a "wrong" choice here.

GCoop.

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2008, 11:16:51 AM »

Just you wait.

I'm kidding.

Sort of.

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2008, 10:17:11 PM »
If you want me to put you in touch with anyone who can talk to you about the wife/kid thing in Ann Arbor, drop me a line.

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2008, 09:10:44 AM »

Just you wait.

I'm kidding.

Sort of.

<----kidding about being sad (though I am gonna be a little put out when everyone else shows up and I have to share my school with them).  ;D