Law School Discussion

Michigan + $49,000, or Chicago?

baileypicks24

• You have food, a roof, and security. Shut up.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Michigan + $49,000, or Chicago?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 08:41:32 AM »
What would we do without conspiracy theorists. Sigh.  ;)

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2008, 09:59:41 AM »
I wish they were only theories...

but suit yourself...

I won't comment on it anymore.

just some guy

• WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2008, 10:25:34 AM »
What would we do without conspiracy theorists. Sigh.  ;)

People in the industry monitor sites like this every day. You might want to take my word on that.

AmericanGunner

• Huge soccer fan, obviously...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2008, 11:18:19 AM »
Seriously, this is a great dilemma to have. I say go with your gut, and where you think you'll enjoy three years of life. Both are pretty cold. Chicago is a bright, lively alpha-level world city. Ann Arbor is a cute, liberal college town. Which one sounds better/

And BTW, do NOT live in Ypsilanti (or at least most parts of it). It might be close and cheap, but it's not worth the urban blight.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2008, 11:24:15 AM »
I answered the question about Michigan v Chicago forever ago (I turned down the Darrow), so I'm just going to cut and paste what I wrote then:

Quote from: Christopher Moltisanti on October 25, 2007, 12:30:18 AM
Why did you choose Chicago over other schools? Specifically, why did you choose UChi over the Darrow at Mich?

It was a feeling.

I came to visit Chicago back in February (totally randomly) and had an A-MAZING time.  I sat in on classes, ate lunch with students, got a personal tour from the admissions office, sat in on the Law and Economics workshop, and went to a meeting of the Edmund Burke Society.  The evening ended hilariously at the Pub.  I fell head over heels in love.  The classes were really interesting (Strahilevitz!).  Watching professors attack a paper at the workshop was astonishing.  But most importantly I had a tremendous time with the people.  They were so much fun, so smart, so entertaining.  I really felt like these were people I wanted to be around for three years.

ASW confirmed this.  I loved the people who are now my fellow 1Ls.  You could tell the administration cared.  Dean Levmore was insightful and hilarious and caustic.

Now about to finish my fifth week, I couldn't be happier.  Sure there is work and reading and annoying ungraded memos, but well, that's law school.  There are also provocative discussions and good times.  The professors are so damn smart and they say things in class like "funsies!"  I love that we have a small class size.  I like that we really get to know the whole class instead of just the 90 people in our section.  I like how friendly the 2Ls and 3Ls are (only occasionally abusing us).  I like Thursday Wine Mess.

I also am so happy with the city of Chicago.  I had never spent any time here before school, but so far I love it.

That being said, I really liked Michigan.  Obviously the money was good, the people were awesome, I had a blast at ASW.  But I just didn't feel it.  Chicago felt right.  My decision came down to one question:  would I get something substantive by going to Chicago over Michigan that made turning down the money worth it?  Obviously, for me, the answer was yes.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,95627.msg2441979.html#msg2441979

Now having finished 1L year, I'm still totally happy with my choice.  It was right for me.  Law school can be an emotionally draining experience, but any doubts I had stemmed from "Law School," not my law school.

I'm also of the opinion that you're not going to make a bad choice, and if you have to flip a coin, you'll still come out on top and love your school like it was the best choice you could have made.  Adaptive preferences.  :)

Sillyberry and I attended the same Michigan ASW, but I made the opposite decision.  I loved Michigan and didn't care for Chicago.  I ended up choosing Mich over a number of peer and higher-ranked schools, including Harvard, Columbia, Chicago, NYU (with close to full scholarship), Penn, and Virginia.  I year later, I'm confident that I made the right decision.  I think finding a place where you can be happy is an important part of it.  Have you visited both schools.

Also, I know that Michigan has special programs for students who are interested in legal scholarship.  If you pm me, I'll send your contact info to a friend of mine who also wants to be a professor and is doing a joint jd/phd.

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2008, 11:59:44 AM »
Pikey, did you come to Chicago's ASW?

If you didn't visit Chicago (and maybe you did, I really don't remember), what did you think you didn't like about it?  IIRC, your big decision was between Michigan and one of the NYC schools, with Chicago not really in the picture.

(I know you loved Michigan and totally made the right choice for you, I'm just curious).

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2008, 12:11:49 PM »

If you didn't visit Chicago (and maybe you did, I really don't remember), what did you think you didn't like about it?  IIRC, your big decision was between Michigan and one of the NYC schools, with Chicago not really in the picture.

(I know you loved Michigan and totally made the right choice for you, I'm just curious).

I visited Chicago early on, when I came to Chicago(city) to interview at NW.  I met some people who were really nice and sat in on a class, but on the whole it just wasn't for me.  I think the straw that broke the camel's back was when I talked to a couple of black students and asked them if they like Chicago.  Their response was something like "it's hard, but so are most law schools, and you know you'll have great opportunities when you leave".  Not exactly an enthused endorsement.  I know that was only a small sample size, but it really did nothing to satisfy my doubts.  I wanted to go to a school where I enjoyed law school, not just endured it.  If I had gone to Chicago I mighthave grown to like it, but I don't think it have been a good fit.  Just like you knew that it was the place for you, after visiting I knew that it wasn't the place for me.

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2008, 01:16:35 PM »

I visited Chicago early on, when I came to Chicago(city) to interview at NW.  I met some people who were really nice and sat in on a class, but on the whole it just wasn't for me.  I think the straw that broke the camel's back was when I talked to a couple of black students and asked them if they like Chicago.  Their response was something like "it's hard, but so are most law schools, and you know you'll have great opportunities when you leave".  Not exactly an enthused endorsement.  I know that was only a small sample size, but it really did nothing to satisfy my doubts.  I wanted to go to a school where I enjoyed law school, not just endured it.  If I had gone to Chicago I mighthave grown to like it, but I don't think it have been a good fit.  Just like you knew that it was the place for you, after visiting I knew that it wasn't the place for me.

Interesting.  So few people at UChicago seem to have that mentality ("law school is a job, I'm here for a job") that it surprises me that you heard that from students.  The fact that in my experience people here don't view law school that way is something I really like about it.

But it goes to show how important visiting, if at all possible, is.

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2008, 06:08:46 PM »
To the OP:

If you do end up choosing Chicago PM me and I can answer any specific questions you have about living here with a wife and kids. I can't help with the Mich. decision because I applied ED to Chicago and never looked back, but good luck.

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2008, 06:56:15 PM »
Have you visited both schools?  You can't go wrong with either school.  (And sorry, but Chicago is definitely not the Harvard of the Midwest.  Harvard is the Michigan of the East.)