Re: Michigan + $49,000, or Chicago?
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 12:27:21 PM »
yeah, she'll be a great peer mentor

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 01:56:11 PM »
Ask the kids!

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 02:30:01 PM »
If it were me, the $49K wouldn't be enough to influence my decision too much.  I was making a similar decision last year (Northwestern with about 80K more than I was getting at UChicago, and I went with UChicago).  I knew if money wasn't an issue I'd choose UChicago without thinking twice, and a friend who was a 3L at UMICH at the time said his biggest piece of advice is to go where you want to go, because a few thousand bucks, or even a few tens of thousands, isn't going to mean anything to you in a couple years when you're making 200K.

If I were really on the fence about the two schools, I'd probably let the money be a tie-breaker, but I wouldn't let 49K stop me from going to a school I really wanted to go to.  But that's just me.

You T14 cats are amazing. Ha!  :D

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 03:27:38 PM »

You T14 cats are amazing. Ha!  :D

Haha, yeah I know how ridiculous that post must come off...but just to be clear, I'm not saying my decision was the right or rational one, or even recommending it for the OP (especially since he has other people in his life to think about ), but that's how I made my choice...I just didn't really care that much about having to pay off student loans for a little longer.

Ah no no, you are 100% right. Haha! I think debt is one thing when graduating from a T14. It means something completely different when graduating from a non-elite school. So you are fine.  :)

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 03:39:18 PM »
They absolutely do read these boards all the time, and they match up applicants with their lsd/lsn accounts. 

*hijack*

Even if I mentioned nothing else about myself on this board, I would be willing to bet that I will be the only female applicant with a cancel and a 180 on her LSAT record.  I would not be that hard for an AdCom to track down if they had my file in front of them, even if my LSN profile were more sparse than it is.  Add in the mentions of my UG, majors, and GPA, and I'm in as much trouble as Tim where anonymity is concerned.

So what should we do?  Delete any self-referential posts?  Kill the LSN profile?   ???  I'm open to advice. 

*unhijack*

For the OP: I have no unique advice on this - they're both fantastic options.  Go with your gut.  There is an 'ask Chicago 1Ls' thread on this board that you might find useful:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,95627.0.html 

I don't know of a similar thread for Mich, but maybe someone else does?

Congrats on your acceptances, and good luck either way!

vjm

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 03:42:20 PM »
Delete posts and change the profile details until you are sure where you are going. You can change them back after school starts.

TimMitchell

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 05:27:36 PM »
You're missing the point but suit yourself...I tried.

It is not about bad-mouthing Cooley as much as yield-protection...YP is a big deal to schools and they do read these boards, especially if people make it as easy to identify themselves as you have...

Yeah Tim, I know you don't want to hijack the thread, but you should really think about this.  They absolutely do read these boards all the time, and they match up applicants with their lsd/lsn accounts.  It's not about going into an AA thread and saying something racist and then getting rejected because the admissions office hates you...

It's like SCK said - if a school sees where you got in and where you got money, that's going to influence their decision to let you in and how much money to give you.  If Northwestern sees you got into UChicago, they might reject you because they know most people won't choose NW over U of C.  If Columbia sees you got no money from NYU, they might have less incentive to give you more money, etc, etc.

Not saying it happens like that in every case, but I can't see this doing anything but hurting you....there's no real benefit to people knowing who you are, there's only possible harm.  And you're particularly well-known on this board and particularly blatant about outting yourself....I'm kinda scared for you buddy.

I'm convinced. I think what SCK says about yield protection is important, schools want a high percentage of their admitted applicants to go to their schools, if Georgetown sees that I'm in a Columbia than they are not going to accept me, even if Georgetown was my #1 choice for some reason. Same thing with money. I'm still anti-anonymity but maybe I won't post my numbers. I'll prob have people PM me if they want to see my LSN.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Also, Laura... I can see how an adcomm would find my information quickly but I doubt Yale is going to do that much investigating work to figure out who you are, you're safe IMO.

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 05:48:23 PM »
Well, I should hope not, since I'm not sure I'm going to apply to Yale.  If they're doing that kind of investigative work on non-applicants, they really have too much time on their hands...    ;)

TimMitchell

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 06:00:33 PM »
Well, I should hope not, since I'm not sure I'm going to apply to Yale.  If they're doing that kind of investigative work on non-applicants, they really have too much time on their hands...    ;)

Wow, and according to your LSN no Stanford, either... puzzling

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 07:18:59 PM »
I answered the question about Michigan v Chicago forever ago (I turned down the Darrow), so I'm just going to cut and paste what I wrote then:

Quote from: Christopher Moltisanti on October 25, 2007, 12:30:18 AM
Why did you choose Chicago over other schools? Specifically, why did you choose UChi over the Darrow at Mich?

It was a feeling.

I came to visit Chicago back in February (totally randomly) and had an A-MAZING time.  I sat in on classes, ate lunch with students, got a personal tour from the admissions office, sat in on the Law and Economics workshop, and went to a meeting of the Edmund Burke Society.  The evening ended hilariously at the Pub.  I fell head over heels in love.  The classes were really interesting (Strahilevitz!).  Watching professors attack a paper at the workshop was astonishing.  But most importantly I had a tremendous time with the people.  They were so much fun, so smart, so entertaining.  I really felt like these were people I wanted to be around for three years.

ASW confirmed this.  I loved the people who are now my fellow 1Ls.  You could tell the administration cared.  Dean Levmore was insightful and hilarious and caustic.

Now about to finish my fifth week, I couldn't be happier.  Sure there is work and reading and annoying ungraded memos, but well, that's law school.  There are also provocative discussions and good times.  The professors are so damn smart and they say things in class like "funsies!"  I love that we have a small class size.  I like that we really get to know the whole class instead of just the 90 people in our section.  I like how friendly the 2Ls and 3Ls are (only occasionally abusing us).  I like Thursday Wine Mess.

I also am so happy with the city of Chicago.  I had never spent any time here before school, but so far I love it.

That being said, I really liked Michigan.  Obviously the money was good, the people were awesome, I had a blast at ASW.  But I just didn't feel it.  Chicago felt right.  My decision came down to one question:  would I get something substantive by going to Chicago over Michigan that made turning down the money worth it?  Obviously, for me, the answer was yes.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,95627.msg2441979.html#msg2441979

Now having finished 1L year, I'm still totally happy with my choice.  It was right for me.  Law school can be an emotionally draining experience, but any doubts I had stemmed from "Law School," not my law school.

I'm also of the opinion that you're not going to make a bad choice, and if you have to flip a coin, you'll still come out on top and love your school like it was the best choice you could have made.  Adaptive preferences.  :)