Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SAT vs. LSAT  (Read 1037 times)

hotdogs

• View Profile
SAT vs. LSAT
« on: July 10, 2008, 02:07:03 AM »
Copy and paste the following including your stats.  Feel free to include multiple scores and extra info (e.g. SAT writing, SAT subject test scores, diagnostic scores, etc.):
Approximately how much did you study for the SAT?:
SAT Math score:
SAT Verbal score:
Approximately how much did you study for the LSAT?:
LSAT score:

Laura Roslin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: SAT vs. LSAT
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 03:13:44 AM »
You know, I don't particularly mind trolls (this is a prelaw board - it's endemic), but originality goes a long way...

For the OP:

Approximately how much did you study for the SAT?: 25 hours, maybe?  I read a book and did about half a dozen practice tests.  (True story: the sum total of my sweet 16th birthday gifts were two SAT and ACT prep books.  :D)
SAT Math score: 790
SAT Verbal score: 800
Approximately how much did you study for the LSAT?: Counting both takes, maybe 150 hours?  I did the LGB, all of the released games, and at least 10-12 PTs, plus post-test analysis.
LSAT score: 180 

I swear I'm not actually very smart.  I've just had to take a lot of standardized tests throughout my life (NCLB-style accountability came early to certain urban school districts...) so I've gotten pretty good at them.  *shrugs*
I have a PhD in horribleness!

LSN

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 04:30:47 AM »
Copy and paste the following including your stats.  Feel free to include multiple scores and extra info (e.g. SAT writing, SAT subject test scores, diagnostic scores, etc.):
Approximately how much did you study for the SAT?:
SAT Math score:
SAT Verbal score:
Approximately how much did you study for the LSAT?:
LSAT score:

What's next, a request for SSNs?
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Laura Roslin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 04:41:29 AM »
Counting both takes, maybe 150 hours?

What'd you get the first time?

Canceled.  So that worked out all right for me.   ;)

LSN

Laura Roslin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 05:04:59 AM »
How come you're applying to so few schools?

I'll probably modify that list before fall - it's pretty preliminary.  $$ is a factor, too, so fee waivers will play a role in how many schools I apply to. 

I put that list together almost entirely on the basis of geography, which is a pretty inane way to choose schools.  (I don't really want to move west, Cornell is in Ithaca, Yale is in New Haven and I've had quite enough of that, I didn't like Durham the one time I was there, etc...)  I need to work on that - I'm going to do my research this summer.  Any suggestions on where you think I should apply?  :D

LSN

Startin Up Soon!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 09:59:05 AM »
Laura Roslin:  I'm kinda weirded out by how similar our numbers/school are. My LSAT routine was also pretty much identical, did all the games and a couple of practice tests...and I cancelled my LSAT the first time around.  Granted, your GPA is .1 higher than mine but we did the same major too.  In fact, I'm wondering if we went to the same school?  If you're interested in how my cycle went, I'd be happy to share, just PM me.

Approximately how much did you study for the SAT?: Read a book, did a few tests, about 20 hours of study?
SAT Math score: 800
SAT Verbal score: 770
Approximately how much did you study for the LSAT?: Read through the Logic Games and Logical Reasoning Bibles.  Did almost all of the games from practice tests and about 15-20 whole practice test.  I actually took it twice, cancelled the first time.  I did the bibles before the first test and had taken about 10-12 practice tests.  I did about 5-8  whole tests before my retake but I pretty much just did lots of games (about two sections a day for the week preceding the test).
LSAT score: 180 

FatUncle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 10:29:26 AM »
I did not take the SAT because I am Canadian and we are a superior brand of human.

russhey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 10:44:23 AM »
How much did you study for the SAT:  I took a prep course and probably went through about 15 hours of studying on my own time.  Not too much.

Verbal: 630
Math: 670
Total: 1300

How much did you study for the LSAT: A lot.  My initial diagnostic practice test I got a 165.  I then did about 7 or 8 practice tests and went through the sections for the tests, particurally RC as that was my weak area, over and over again. 
LSAT: 174

Just my two cents.  I feel the LSAT is a lot more learnable than the SAT as a whole.  Maybe because I've been doing logic games for fun since I was a kid.
GPA: 2.1, LSAT: 174

waywedo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 12:59:32 PM »
Approximately how much did you study for the ACT?: 1 hr, night before.
ACT Math score: 32
ACT Reading: 36
ACT English: 36
ACT Science: 33
ACT Composite: 34
Approximately how much did you study for the LSAT?: Lots. Not sure on a number.
LSAT score: 177

I think both tests have aspects that are learnable to a degree, with the LSAT of course just being much more difficult.