Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: La Verne ($12K) vs California Western  (Read 2023 times)

Nagel

• View Profile
La Verne ($12K) vs California Western
« on: July 09, 2008, 10:07:35 PM »
I do have slim pickings, but I have to choose between going to school in my hometown or moving to San Diego:

La Verne with a $12K scholarship if I stay in the top 40% of the class vs California Western.

La verne would be the most convenient pick since I could just live at home and the tuition is $12K cheaper.  However, ULV is a provisionally accredited school and not as established in SoCal as Cal Western.  I am thinking about transferring after my first year, so is there any advice for my short term situation?

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
Re: La Verne ($12K) vs California Western
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 03:50:26 PM »
Cal Western, better local network and there are only 3 schools locally to compete with and of the 3 Cal Western is second best.

TimeToPanic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 04:01:59 PM »
Definitely Cal Western.  I visited the school and there was a lot of good things about it.  La Verne should not be an option at this point.  Beware of Cal Western's attrition rate however.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 06:58:08 PM »
I go to Cal Western.  If you have any questions about it, let me know.  The attrition rate isn't so bad.  It includes a healthy number of transfers, and voluntary opt outs.  The "curve out" portion is no where near as drastic as you may have heard. 

I do not personally know anyone who didn't make it through 1L who tried.  I'm sure some people did try and missed the mark, but I don't know any of them.

Dreamin192

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 12:59:41 AM »
Absolutely go to Cal Western, you shouldn't even have to think about that one. La Verne has a poor reputation in So Cal and Cal Western is one of the best schools in San Diego, well next to USD.
Whittier Law 2011