Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: white guy at a minority/diversity job fair  (Read 2637 times)

Megara

• View Profile
Re: white guy at a minority/diversity job fair
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 01:36:12 PM »
Well, like i said, poverty is about the only diverse thing i can count.  I just don't think that is the type of diverse they are going for.

*shrugs*

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 01:49:21 PM »
Well, like i said, poverty is about the only diverse thing i can count.  I just don't think that is the type of diverse they are going for.

I dunno, depends on the type of poverty you experienced.
Lack of working plumbing/electricity?  Only white kid in a nearly all black/latino neighborhood/school? Periods of homelessness?  Orphaned?  Drug-addict parents?  Dad in prison for killing mom? 

Basically, if it could be the basis of a Lifetime movie, I think you're in.
If not.... then not.

Megara

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 02:06:59 PM »
edited: for privacy reasons...

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 05:11:49 PM »
Well, if part of the "diversity" fair is socioeconomic (a lot of the ones that I've seen are), then you should be good.

It's not hard to bring up, just be proactive about it.  Everyone will know that you're white (except any blind interviewers).  A lot of them will probably wonder how you're diverse.  So, you can bring up that you have a non-traditional background marked by crushing poverty, domestic violence, an imprisoned felon father, and that you raised your brother while you mom was working non-stop.

If you want you can state that you are diverse, but if they are looking for a limited sort of diversity that you understand and don't want to waste anyones time.

But really that's a pretty drastic life-story.  I doubt that the vast bulk of law students have anything even approaching that.  And that's diversity, isn't it?  Good for you to rise above your circumstances of origin.  I think the "over-coming bad youth" story is one that lots of people will receive favorably.

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
You will look ridiculous as the only white guy at a minority job fair.

Just take solace that no one cares about racism so long as it only hurts white people, even ones with socioeconomic disadvantage such as yourself.  Also note that minorities who have had a privileged upbringing yet achieved less than you will still have the upper hand in getting a job.  You are merely collateral damage in the great liberal reverse-racism endeavor. 

Good luck.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 06:06:03 PM »
He won't be the only white looking guy there.  Most diversity fairs that I've seen embrace Pride diversity.  And there are likely a few other economically diverse people who will be there.

Megara

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 06:17:25 PM »
Well, i don't think i'll be the only white guy.  I know of a few other from my school alone, and there are dozens of schools participating.  So there should be a good number.

Anyways, thank you all for the responses..