Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Outlining Software  (Read 1898 times)

rohan

• View Profile
Outlining Software
« on: July 09, 2008, 01:12:09 AM »
Hey there,

What software are you using (or plan to use) for outlining? I downloaded a trial version of Circus Ponies/NoteBook and it seems pretty decent. Does anyone have any experience with it? I'm also on a Macbook, if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
R

Slice57

• View Profile
Re: Outlining Software
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 10:34:36 PM »
I use OneNote for everything. First it's easy to drag and drop my notes/ examples into my outline from class notes. It lets you format however you want and doesn't try to fight you. It's much easier to add any type of charts. It came with my MS office, but I think you can download a free trial. Check it out.

rohan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »
Cool, thanks for the recommendation! I've heard of One Note -- they also have a pretty sweet diagramming SW, too. I'll check out the trial download. 

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 08:07:46 AM »
My 1L year was the first time I used OneNote and it is absolutely awesome. So much easier than fighting Word or other programs than autoformat. Only downside is drawing diagrams, but that's probably because I'm not that great with the touchpad on my laptop and am weighed down by the casebooks too much to even want to carry a couple more ounces for a mouse.

hbb

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 11:51:42 AM »
I'll check out the trial download.

I don't believe there is a Mac version of One Note.

What software are you using (or plan to use) for outlining? I downloaded a trial version of Circus Ponies/NoteBook and it seems pretty decent. Does anyone have any experience with it?

I've used NoteBook for the past two years of UG, and I'm having a hard time imagining how I would get through law school without it. It's a great tool: NoteBook's indexing capabilities are so helpful, and the whole application is very easy to customize to your needs. Check out this site for ideas about how you could use NoteBook in law school.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 12:05:30 PM »
I've heard that OmniOutliner is good for Mac.

Or you could run OneNote in BootCamp.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

robelguapo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 04:52:31 PM »
tag

laurenlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 11:54:23 PM »
I second all the good things about One Note.  Just some easy advice:  organize by topic.  Lots of people organized their notes by date, then had trouble connecting the dots and spent more time forming it into one comprehensive outline.  I'd suggest looking at your casebook/class syllabus and making a new section within the class notebook of each big topic.  Ex:  notebook, torts.  section 1, intentional torts with subsections for battery.. etc.

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 12:16:48 AM »
There is a thread over on TLS in the Transfer to HYS thread with a girl who is #1 at UCLA right now. The thread has basically descended into her giving tips on how to do well first year, but she has some screen captures of OneNote and how she uses it and it looks great. I just discovered I had this software so now i'm excited to try it out (yes, I'm a super geek)

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 12:41:30 PM »
Nice find, meggo.

Here's the link if anyone's interested:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36635
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."