Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top of TTT  (Read 907 times)

killjoy26

• View Profile
Top of TTT
« on: July 08, 2008, 08:08:15 PM »
Hey all -
I wonder whether any of you have experience or knowledge about how the top students in TTTs pursue the SA process. I have been fortunate to end up in the top 5 percent of my east coast TTT class, and am interested in exploring my BigLaw options, if I have any. My TTT is a specialty school, so I have that going for me I guess, but I'm generally clueless as to my prospects in the major markets. Thoughts? Advice? Other people in the same boat?

Thanks in advance...

Jmart603

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Top of TTT
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 12:52:29 PM »
What big city are you near?
I'd think if any of the large firms from there come on campus, you should at least be able to get an interview. Its up to you from there.
I'd also try your career services office, they should hopefully be able to let you know where the top students in the past when for SA job's to give you an idea of what firms are more receptive.
Best of luck.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 01:23:59 PM »
I attended a Tier 2 school 1L year before transferring.

Basically, unless you have a technical background and your school's "specialty" is IP, you are going to have to hustle. From what I've seen top students at lower ranked schools have a really hit or miss time when it comes to biglaw, even with large regional firms that pay close to market that aren't traditionally classified as "biglaw".

Your best bet is to do your own job search in addition to OCI and try firms in secondary markets if you have strong ties to any secondary markets. Look for firms where there are alums of your school. Especially firms where an alum of your school is a partner.

killjoy26

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 04:42:24 PM »
I meant this: "My school sucks but we have a top 10 [insert obscure practice here] program."

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 05:34:26 PM »
I meant this: "My school sucks but we have a top 10 [insert obscure practice here] program."

VERMONT TO BIGENVIROMENTALLAW
Air Force JAG Corps

3Loser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 02:58:56 PM »
I attended at T2 and was in the top 5%. I landed an SA position--anything is possible but don't count on it. It was not easy to do. At the time, I was not in the top 5%--so if you are, that increases your chances, theoretically.