Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fischl and Paul's Getting To Maybe  (Read 446 times)

Jerrry

• View Profile
Fischl and Paul's Getting To Maybe
« on: July 08, 2008, 04:42:33 PM »
Just wondering if this "getting to maybe" book will be appropriate for a student in 2L or 3L or its only useful when starting law school. Any idea? I have been recommended alot of law text books but they fall short of my expectation.
Nothing is good or bad, thinking makes it so.

matta

• View Profile
Re: Fischl and Paul's Getting To Maybe
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 04:56:52 PM »
I've read it and I've recommended it.  I'm just a 0L, so take any of this with a grain of salt.  It is useful for teaching you how to be efficient in your day to day exam preparation.  It is also useful in teaching a test-taking method.  The forks method is more in-depth and easier to apply to all question types than other methods that I've encountered (issue-spotting, IRAC, etc.)  I haven't taken LEEWS yet, so I can't comment on GTM in relation to LEEWS.  I don't see how it could hurt to read it in 2L or 3L.  It really isn't that long.  Hell, I finished it in about 2 days.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 06:26:34 PM »
If you did well on exams, and generally understand how to take law school exams, then I don't think it will help.  But, if after your first year, you feel that you knew the material, and just didn't understand what they were asking you to do on the exams... or feel that your exam writing ability is a little lax, then you should read it.

I liked it a lot.  I read it after my first semester exams, I found that it had a lot of information I already knew, but a few pieces that I used to get slightly better grades second semester.

StephanyDS

• Renegades of Funk
    • AOL Instant Messenger - StephanyDS
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 07:48:36 PM »
If you did well on exams, and generally understand how to take law school exams, then I don't think it will help.  But, if after your first year, you feel that you knew the material, and just didn't understand what they were asking you to do on the exams... or feel that your exam writing ability is a little lax, then you should read it.

I liked it a lot.  I read it after my first semester exams, I found that it had a lot of information I already knew, but a few pieces that I used to get slightly better grades second semester.

I totally agree...I read it about a third into my 1L and learned so much I wish I had known right off the bat. But as a 2L, it would be pretty much pointless, unless there were definite areas you weren't getting.
Man, there are some creepers out there...