Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Emory v. Boalt/NYU/Columbia -> "More opportunities"  (Read 1946 times)

lawyer1080

• View Profile
Emory v. Boalt/NYU/Columbia -> "More opportunities"
« on: July 08, 2008, 01:47:16 PM »
Hey everybody,

So when I first sent out my transfer applications I was dead set on making the move - now however I am really having a hard time. 

Currently I am top 6% at Emory, Primary Journal, great friends, etc . . .  I am having a really hard time telling myself to leave all of that behind.  On the other hand however, I am having a really hard time turning down the opportunity to attend a top 6 law school.  I think the most difficult part of this whole thing is that I cannot exactly quantify the "additional opportunities" I might have coming from Boalt/NYU/Columbia (I haven't yet gotten in Columbia, only Boalt and NYU).  Some people say I will be able to get the exact same job from Emory that I would if I transferred, but some say transfer, you'll have so many more "opportunities."  Anyone with advice/experience/comments please let me know your thoughts.

- 

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Emory v. Boalt/NYU/Columbia -> "More opportunities"
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 01:56:27 PM »
You haven't given us the really pertinent info that is necessary for us to give you advice.

What do you want to do and where do you want to practice?  If this answer is Biglaw in a major city outside of the southeast, then you might consider the transfer.   

sheriff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 02:04:27 PM »
I would give up all you have only for NYU and Columbia...
The George Washington University Class of 2010.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 02:19:31 PM »
You haven't given us the really pertinent info that is necessary for us to give you advice.

What do you want to do and where do you want to practice?  If this answer is Biglaw in a major city outside of the southeast, then you might consider the transfer.    

titcr.  If you want to stay in the SE, maybe your personal happiness outweighs the additional opportunities that NYU/Boalt will allow, especially if transferring will increase your debt (which it probably will, even without considering scholarships, since both NYU and Boalt are in high COL cities).  If you don't want to stay in the SE, then transferring is definitely your best option. 
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 08:26:05 PM »

titcr.  If you want to stay in the SE, maybe your personal happiness outweighs the additional opportunities that NYU/Boalt will allow, especially if transferring will increase your debt (which it probably will, even without considering scholarships, since both NYU and Boalt are in high COL cities).  If you don't want to stay in the SE, then transferring is definitely your best option. 

If you want to work biglaw in NYC or California, then transferring will give you a leg up.

But, if you have any type of connections to your desired practice location (whether that be NYC, California, or elsewhere), then I don't think you need to transfer to get a biglaw job in the location with top 6% and law review at Emory.

I would only transfer if your goal is USCOA clerk or legal academia.

lawyer1080

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 11:59:38 AM »
Thanks for the responses thus far - As of now I believe I want to move into Biglaw (at least for a few years to pay down debt).  Unfortunately, I do not have any geographic ties to California, New York, or D.C. - the three places I believe I would like to work.

All comments/questions welcome

- -

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 12:31:05 PM »
Hmmm, well I would transfer if I were you and to which school I don't think it really matters.  I was in your situation a couple of weeks ago and asked everybody I knew their opinion on Boalt vs. Columbia or NYU.  Every person I talked to (attorney's from Partners at V10 firms to associates to solo attorney's) said the same thing to just go to which ever school you would like the most.  You aren't giving up any opportunities by going to Boalt over Columbia or NYU over Boalt and what not.  Everybody also said transfer.  10 years from now nobody will ever ask you what your law school grades are but they will ask where you went to law school. (And of course look at your performance as a lawyer as well.) 

However, most of them did say that if you know for sure that you want to be in New York then Columbia might be slightly better but not much simply because of the connections that it has with the city.  Same was said about Boalt in California.  All pretty common sense pieces of advice but it was reassuring to hear.

I chose Boalt because (1) I already have an offer from a New York V50 firm so I don't have to worry about that market but I still have an interest in California and Boalt will help out with that (2) California weather is better (3) Boalt is noticeably cheaper than any of the other schools because of in state tuition after the first year and the cost of living is a little less (4)skiing nearby (5) I simply will enjoy the quality of life at Boalt more so than a school in NYC.

Sorry for rambling on but this is the information that I have.
Boalt Hall '10

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 12:39:47 PM »
Thanks for the responses thus far - As of now I believe I want to move into Biglaw (at least for a few years to pay down debt).  Unfortunately, I do not have any geographic ties to California, New York, or D.C. - the three places I believe I would like to work.

- -

You don't need ties to NY, so don't worry about that.  Do you definitely want to work in those locations?  Have you spoken to career services about biglaw ops in these locations given your stellar ranking?
Columbia 3L

TeeTwenty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 03:32:05 AM »

I would transfer.

However, you don't need geographic ties to NYC to get a job there. Transferring makes a difference in the firms that will interview and hire you. You will never get an interview with Wachtel, for example, out of Emory, but they will definitely be hiring NYU/Columbia and probably Boalt students.

And as someone said: Clerkships. With the exception of Clarence Thomas, SCOTUS Justices don't seem to hire many/any non-T14 grads, and that is partially because USCOA Judges hire more clerks from T14 than otherwise.

Also, if you have any interest in legal academia...

dynomite

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 02:39:24 AM »
I work at a firm in California.  Our four top schools, as measured as the number of attorneys, are, in order: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, and Boalt.  We don't have a single person from Emory, and do not recruit there.  Transfer!