Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Low LSAT high GPA  (Read 1927 times)

krizzle22

• View Profile
Low LSAT high GPA
« on: July 08, 2008, 08:09:52 AM »
I recently took the June 2008 LSAT and got a 149, however i just graduated from The University of Michigan with a 3.72 in Mechanical Engineering. I've had several internships and am currently working in the field. I'm looking at George washington University, Boston University, and Chicago-Kent. Any thoughts on my chances of gaining admission to these schools given my poor LSAT?

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
Re: Low LSAT high GPA
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 08:37:24 AM »
I'm sure that I'm going to get flamed for saying this, but I'll say it anyway.  Study hard, retake the lsat, and get a higher score.  Given your gpa and such you obviously have the brains, so I would guess you just need better preparation.

edit: think of it this way - if you studied fulltime for 2 months and got say a 160, then went to one of the same schools that you could've gotten into as things stand with you current lsat, only with a 15k/yr scholarship instead of full price, how much money was your time worth compared to your regular job?  You do the math, but I would guess it'd be alot better.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 10:39:08 AM »
I recently took the June 2008 LSAT and got a 149, however i just graduated from The University of Michigan with a 3.72 in Mechanical Engineering. I've had several internships and am currently working in the field. I'm looking at George washington University, Boston University, and Chicago-Kent. Any thoughts on my chances of gaining admission to these schools given my poor LSAT?

I'll bite.  You pretty much have a snowball's chance in hell.  Sorry :-[  If those are the schools you're looking at, you definitely need some hardcore LSAT prep.  Like Speedzie said, you're obviously capable, don't settle for a 149!

whoknows123

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 12:06:18 PM »
Good luck on getting an eleven point jump on your LSAT.  It just does not happen.  Unless, you completely bombed the first test for some reason (i.e. you were way too nervous, you couldn't concentrate, etc...).  Small LSAT improvements are possible.  I would not go into the test thinking you will improve your score by more than 5 or so points (unless it fits the criteria mentioned above).  People who have ridiculous jumps in the LSAT scores just completely screwed up the first time.

10shot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 12:19:57 PM »
This isn't true.  An 11 point jump is completly possibly even through self study.  I went from a 152 to a 166 through self study and it was progressive lending me to believe I didn't just screw up.  So, go and study as hard as you can and you can probably get up there. 
UMich class of 2012
Go Blue!

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 12:28:47 PM »
This isn't true.  An 11 point jump is completly possibly even through self study.  I went from a 152 to a 166 through self study and it was progressive lending me to believe I didn't just screw up.  So, go and study as hard as you can and you can probably get up there. 

While you can't count on a huge jump in LSAT score, 10shot shows it's definitely possible.  Don't let people dissuade you from trying to get a higher score. ;)

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 12:30:54 PM »
I also may be harshly flamed, but you should take advantage of your engineering degree, perhaps study the lsat as a hobby, get some work experience for a few years.  Then reapply as a non traditional from Umich with work experience, a very nice GPA and an interest in PI...which is AWESOME.  Then you'll get scholarship money.  149 is bad to the hizzle, must retake.  Either that, or take advantage of a degree i wish I had, and get a decent paying job without accruing the debt.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 12:31:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys! Any thoughts on my chances at Franklin Pierce law center or even Santa Clara university?

You've got a pretty good shot at Franklin Pierce, not so much with Santa Clara.  Sorry :-\ 

krizzle22

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 12:34:54 PM »
You guys have been very helpful :). Anyone elses thoughts on chances at Santa Clara or Franklin Pierce?

DCLabor25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 01:10:58 PM »
I second the notion that you should re-take the test.  With that type of GPA and degree from Michigan, you are obviously smart.  How much did you study for the test?  I'd suggest taking a class or doing a lot of self study.

I say this too because it's very possible, in my view, to raise your score.  My score went up 9 points from my first test to my second.  The schools where I would have been a marginal candidate, at best, were willing to extend scholarship money.  I'd say that with your current score, any of the schools you mention would be a long shot -- but if you got up your LSAT score, it would make a huge difference.

It might not be fair, but the LSAT matters A LOT when it comes to law school applications.  I am convinced that it matters way more than your gpa, your undergrad degree, and your undergrad institution.  The LSAT of course is a huge pain and for somebody like yourself who worked hard in a difficult degree program at a top institution, it might be hard to believe that a single test taken on a Saturday morning matters more than all of your other work.  It's frustrating.  BUT, the good thing is that with proper preparation, the LSAT can usually be defeated or at least neutralized.