Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Completely Torn About Early Decision Option...  (Read 593 times)

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
Completely Torn About Early Decision Option...
« on: July 08, 2008, 03:10:19 AM »
After pondering this question for weeks, if not months, I've decided to solicit the wise sages of LSD for advice yet again.  I'm trying to decide whether to apply Binding ED to George Washington, which would (if I were accepted) score me a full-tuition scholarship for the three years.  It also comes with a "faculty mentor," whatever fluffy BS that is.

3.08 GPA (upward trend)
175 LSAT
Not crazy about BigLaw, but I'd do it for a few years to pay off loans
Really want to clerk
Really want to do DOJ, AUSA, possibly prosecutor or public defender position (basically trial/appellate courtroom work)
Would also love an ACLU-type gig
Would like to judge someday and teach someday

Something tells me it's the smart thing to do, and that I'd be crazy to not try to go to this great school for free, but I'd hate to get the ED acceptance and then have one of my many Hail Mary apps come through the next day.

sigh... advice?
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
Re: Completely Torn About Early Decision Option...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 08:55:51 AM »
You don't think you could get the scholarship offer and the like if you applied regular admission (perhaps still very early) but not ED?  Unless ED is necessary to get those things, I would say just don't apply early and you'll leave yourself with a choice later on.  ED can't affect their decision process that much, can it?

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 09:04:10 AM »
I don't know about the becoming a judge or becoming a prof coming from GW, but those are hard to do anyway.

So they have a scholarship guarantee if they accept you binding ED?  That's a pretty intriguing deal.  I can see why you're tempted to try for it!
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 09:28:12 AM »
I'm trying to decide whether to apply Binding ED to George Washington, which would (if I were accepted) score me a full-tuition scholarship for the three years.  It also comes with a "faculty mentor," whatever fluffy BS that is.

IIRC last cycle very few of these full rides were offered to ED's, most were just rolled into the regular applicant pool.  If you'd take it over all others, it can't hurt to try.

TimMitchell

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 09:32:23 AM »
Yeah, how can you be sure they are going to give a full ride? You are prob golden for them anyway so just applying RD, apply ED to a reach like Penn or something.

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 09:39:54 AM »
Yeah, how can you be sure they are going to give a full ride? You are prob golden for them anyway so just applying RD, apply ED to a reach like Penn or something.

If they accept you ED, you get a full ride,period.  That's their gig as of last year.

TimMitchell

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 09:43:32 AM »

If they accept you ED, you get a full ride,period.  That's their gig as of last year.

Really? I'm going to look into that now, too...

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 09:54:30 AM »
After pondering this question for weeks, if not months, I've decided to solicit the wise sages of LSD for advice yet again.  I'm trying to decide whether to apply Binding ED to George Washington, which would (if I were accepted) score me a full-tuition scholarship for the three years.  It also comes with a "faculty mentor," whatever fluffy BS that is.

3.08 GPA (upward trend)
175 LSAT
Really want to clerk
Really want to do DOJ, AUSA, possibly prosecutor or public defender position (basically trial/appellate courtroom work)

Something tells me it's the smart thing to do, and that I'd be crazy to not try to go to this great school for free, but I'd hate to get the ED acceptance and then have one of my many Hail Mary apps come through the next day.

sigh... advice?

I honestly don't think that you will get the scholarship with your numbers.  Your GPA is a bit low.  Secondly, you should get into some t-14s with those numbers, and for what you want to do, it would behoove you to go to the best school you get into, bottom line.
Michigan 2L

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 10:05:02 AM »

3.08 GPA (upward trend)
175 LSAT
Really want to clerk

sigh... advice?

I honestly don't think that you will get the scholarship with your numbers.  Your GPA is a bit low.  Secondly, you should get into some t-14s with those numbers, and for what you want to do, it would behoove you to go to the best school you get into, bottom line.

bolded is titcr.
Columbia 3L

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 12:21:06 PM »
Thanks for all the help.  I'm sort of leaning against it too, especially because my S.O. will be working full-time while I'm in school and so that'll keep the debt down.  We've already made a pact that after graduation, we'll continue to live like we're poor and just pay off the loans as quickly as possible so we don't have to worry about them.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."