Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Employer recs  (Read 2042 times)

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Employer recs
« on: July 08, 2008, 12:23:00 AM »
Sorry in advance if this has been asked a thousand times before...

For those of you that have been out of school for a bit, are you thinking about adding a recommendation from an employer to have a more recent LOR?  I already have two LOR's on file with the LSDAS, but I've been out of UG for a year and am wondering if I should have my supervisor write one for a more recent perspective.  Problem is, his writing skills are atrocious!  Even though he's very fond of me and the sentiment would be there, I'm afraid a really poorly written LOR could hurt more than it would help.  Would you guys worry about not having one from the same year as the app cycle?

olderapplicant

• View Profile
Re: Employer recs
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 03:05:13 PM »
I don't think being out of UG for one year is enough to justify not having LOR's from professor.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 03:07:33 PM »
I don't think being out of UG for one year is enough to justify not having LOR's from professor.

Read my post again, I have recs from two professors already.  I was asking if the year out of UG means I should try to get an employer rec or not.

olderapplicant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 05:08:36 PM »
not an expert but i don't think so unless your employer is going to write a fantastic rec that will really add something to your application file.  most schools specifically state they prefer recs from professors.

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 05:13:58 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it, or better yet, volunteer to help your supervisor edit it.
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 05:22:07 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it, or better yet, volunteer to help your supervisor edit it.

Thanks, I guess if people don't think it's an issue, I'll forget about it.  If I thought the editing would help, I probably would talk to him about it.  But, he's the kind of guy who still hand writes letters on company letterhead and sees no problem with this.  So, I'm guessing the editing process would be fairly painful and might offend him, and I'd never want to do that.  Good thought, though ;)

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 05:39:06 PM »
I think it is a good one to save for waitlists. My employer of six years wrote a great one that was extremely unique and compelling, so I sent it in for waitlists.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 05:43:21 PM »
I think it is a good one to save for waitlists. My employer of six years wrote a great one that was extremely unique and compelling, so I sent it in for waitlists.

Great idea!  I'll keep that in mind, thanks vjm!

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 06:51:55 PM »
Yeah, it didn't address anything academic, but it was a nice way to round out their picture of me.

He also owns the restaurant where I have worked for six years, and where the law school that has waitlisted me frequently brings visiting professors. Wanted to get his name in there somewhere  :D.

I was surprised how good it was, so don't pass one up that might help.

Good luck!

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 07:35:25 PM »
He also owns the restaurant where I have worked for six years, and where the law school that has waitlisted me frequently brings visiting professors. Wanted to get his name in there somewhere  :D.

Good call ;)