Law School Discussion

for people who know stuff (nothing to do with admissions chances)

papercranes

• Beer Lao. Why did I leave and come to law school?
    • View Profile
Quick question for a friend of mine.

So... This girl lives in an old apartment, just rented a very small, portable air conditioner for her room. the hose part goes out her window (the only window in her room) into a small enclosed alcove space between her building and the one next door. The space has a glass roof but likely isn't completely sealed off (the windows/roof might have openings).

anyway, after turning the ac on for a day, the neighbors across the alcove (in the other building) came over to complain that the exhaust from the hose is heating up the enclosed area and that their apartment is too hot now. Apparently this guy is throwing around some legal things (I don't know what they said to her exactly, she just told me the basics of the story) and threatening her. She offered to turn it on only at nights, and as low as possible, but the guy seems to be kind of a jerk. Obviously she doesn't want to take out the air conditioner altogether, but she also doesn't want it to become a serious issue.

so? suggestions? comments?

goaliechica

• It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Re: for people who know stuff (nothing to do with admissions chances)
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 09:13:54 PM »
comments?

That stinks.

I am not speaking from experience, particularly, but I suspect most people don't actually take legal action over something like that. It's too slow and expensive, and he probably doesn't have a case. They just throw it around to be unpleasant and try to intimidate someone. That doesn't really solve the problem of him being nasty, of course.

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 09:18:44 PM »
your friend needs to notify the management of her apartment building and let them handle it.  she's probably well within her lease to run the a/c unit, and noone should be allowed to come personally threaten her about what she does with her rented unit, especially before trying to handle it with the property manager first.  this will only be her problem if her prop. manager comes to her and says she has to take it out.  until then, tell the guy she's gonna call the police if he doesn't stop harassing her.

papercranes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 09:52:09 PM »
hah, ChrisMo :-* :D

thanks, Tha Trev and goalie
that's sort of what I figured but I didn't want to talk out of ass and get her in trouble.

(and wally? what happened to your post? I was surprised at the reception. incidentally, I met someone today who looks exactly like you)

papercranes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 10:13:28 PM »
Oh, yeah?  You've never seen me IRL, but I guess that's possible.

I know that, but he looked like your fb pictures. which I assume look like you.

papercranes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 10:14:20 PM »
Oh, yeah?  You've never seen me IRL, but I guess that's possible.

I know that, but he looked like your fb pictures. which I assume look like you.

papercranes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 10:19:49 PM »
overall, good. having a lot of fun. this week has been pretty great
 you?

EAT: oy, for the uninitiated: I was having a conversation with wally....

Gone

• Goodbye All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 10:38:34 PM »
your friend needs to notify the management of her apartment building and let them handle it.  she's probably well within her lease to run the a/c unit, and noone should be allowed to come personally threaten her about what she does with her rented unit, especially before trying to handle it with the property manager first.  this will only be her problem if her prop. manager comes to her and says she has to take it out.  until then, tell the guy she's gonna call the police if he doesn't stop harassing her.

From personal experience, tell her she should go to the superintendent first - unless it's something totally ludicrous they tend to side with the person that comes to them first, in a polite way of course.