Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Review - How stupid was it not to petition for law review?  (Read 8733 times)

OK Law

• View Profile
I just found out that I am in the 1st quartile (although just barely) at the University of Minnesota after my first year and was wondering how stupid it was to not petition for law review. I really did not even want to be on the journal and really did not want to go through the process, but am now thinking that I may have really hampered my chances for future employment. I will be going through OCI in the fall, how big of a mistake did I make(assuming I would have made law review, which is a rather large assumption)?

Any advice on how I can make myself more competitive or if you just want to call me an idiot, that is ok too.

dsetterl

Re: Law Review - How stupid was it not to petition for law review?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 05:06:40 PM »
Why would you not want to be on Law Review? I think is one of the greatest acedemic honors you can achieve in LS, besides Top Graduating Senior/ Editor-in-Chief of law review.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 05:37:38 PM »
Why would you not want to be on Law Review? I think is one of the greatest acedemic honors you can achieve in LS, besides Top Graduating Senior/ Editor-in-Chief of law review.

Because it's a huge pain in the arse?
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 06:29:54 PM »

Because it's a huge pain in the arse?

Seconded, and all you do is edit someone else's crappy writing, fill in thier balnk cites when you could write it yourself and try and get publsihed

Don't join a journal if your hearts not in it, its a ton of time consuming mundane work for the most part. If you are not really in to it but for the resume boost, you will likely hate it, and likley not want or be able to run for editor. Find other ways to boost your resume, moot court, other stuff, if journals don't intrest you. Otherwise just join a secondary journal. Or try and publish your own stuff in journals.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 08:08:41 PM »
I didn't do it.

I tried to get onto the Journal for the kind of law I want to do but didn't make it. To get on the regular journals you have to be in the top half of the class, and I didn't try b/c at the end of 1st semester I was bottom 1/3. I thought that was a lot of work for not even being able to have a spot unless I had a huge improvement in my grade. I ended up making it into the top 1/2 by the skin of my teeth anyway but still don't regret it.

I'm dual degree, so I figure I'm distinguishing myself by spending an extra year getting a Masters in the field. Plus, I can try to get on next year if I want. I'll have talked to friends who are on journals and hear about whether or not they like it.

I like reading law review articles for research. The idea of cite-checking one makes me want to poke my eyes out.

yongsoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bah weep Grah nah weep ninny bon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 02:45:22 PM »
while it's nothing special to be on a journal, I think many law firms view it as a rite of passage, somewhat. THEY had to do all that stupid cite checking, and so should you, sort of thing.

Moreover, while being on Law Review or any other journal, may not distinguish you in the eyes of recruiters, its omission on your resume may be questioned. I know several people who were asked about this during their interviews.

You may have to go a bit further in your job hunt or participate in something a little out of the ordinary, as opposed to your classmates on a journal.

pretetmanger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 09:30:03 PM »
yongsoo - you say "it's nothing special to be on a journal" -  and that being on review/journal doesn't distinguish you from other job applicants.

Is that true?  I kind of thought it was pretty special.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 10:01:33 PM »
i just met with a federal judge and asked if not having law review was a disqualification in his eyes.  he said basically the same thing matthies said -- that lr doesnt guarantee that you are a good writer or researcher....only that the person who was checking your note was.  he said what was more important to him was that you have something published if possible, or have won some kind of writing award....a moot court best brief or something like that.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

T2Loser

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 10:49:56 PM »
I think it's a big mistake. When employers look at resumes, they know that the only real reason not to try for law review/journals is, "Ehhh. Seems like a lot of work. I don't feel like it." It evidences a certain level of lazyness. They of course do not want those types of people.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 10:54:30 PM »
I think it's a big mistake. When employers look at resumes, they know that the only real reason not to try for law review/journals is, "Ehhh. Seems like a lot of work. I don't feel like it." It evidences a certain level of lazyness. They of course do not want those types of people.

that is simply wrong.

pretty much.
Columbia 3L