Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Review - How stupid was it not to petition for law review?  (Read 9033 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Law Review - How stupid was it not to petition for law review?
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2008, 08:21:32 PM »
I always figured the reason judges and employers liked people on Law Review or other journals was because they figure those people are willing to undergo excessive unpleasantness in the name of ambition? 

I think it shows a mindless devotion to tradition for traditionís sake thus firms are assured that you wonít think for yourself, youíll just follow the herd and do as youíre told. Breaking the mold or being original is bad for firm culture.

Right.  There ya go.  I think ambition + intelligence + mindlessness = success! 

I can haz big lawl job now?
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
I always figured the reason judges and employers liked people on Law Review or other journals was because they figure those people are willing to undergo excessive unpleasantness in the name of ambition? 

I think it shows a mindless devotion to tradition for traditionís sake thus firms are assured that you wonít think for yourself, youíll just follow the herd and do as youíre told. Breaking the mold or being original is bad for firm culture.

Is that what you want?

god forbid  :P
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2008, 08:50:15 PM »

Is that what you want?

Ack don't ask me to think, that's not fair.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2008, 09:12:19 PM »
i heard two federal circuit court judges say that LAST WEEK; so its not just "some story"

and they also said that the judiciary as a whole is fairly split, at least in our circuit.

JD

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2008, 09:24:15 PM »
Doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of employers to see it. Do you really think the opposite is the case?

And, no offense, but it's still just "some story." Two judges isn't exactly a trend. And, more importantly, law review is going to be less important to federal circuit judges, and even federal district court judges to an extent, because the vast majority of the serious candidates were on law review. Those judges need something else to help make their determinations, so law review becomes "less important" relatively. But if we're talking about most clerkships, or most medium/larger law firms, it's pretty much indisputable that it's a great thing to have on one's resume.

What will they look at?  Grades?  Sheeeeet. 

yeah, god forbid

JD

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2008, 09:27:20 PM »
Doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of employers to see it. Do you really think the opposite is the case?

And, no offense, but it's still just "some story." Two judges isn't exactly a trend. And, more importantly, law review is going to be less important to federal circuit judges, and even federal district court judges to an extent, because the vast majority of the serious candidates were on law review. Those judges need something else to help make their determinations, so law review becomes "less important" relatively. But if we're talking about most clerkships, or most medium/larger law firms, it's pretty much indisputable that it's a great thing to have on one's resume.

What will they look at?  Grades?  Sheeeeet. 

I'm sure it depends on the judge. One judge on the 6th Circuit supposedly looks for as much extracurricular involvement as possible. His philosophy is it's "easy" to get awesome grades if you didn't do any other activities in law school.

Is Law Review a good EC?
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.