Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

End of Summer Vacation ideas?

NYC
DC
CHI

Author Topic: End of Summer Vacation ideas?  (Read 2168 times)

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
End of Summer Vacation ideas?
« on: July 07, 2008, 11:28:26 AM »
My internship is over around Aug. 1st and I don't start school until Aug. 19th.

So I'm trying to figure out what I should do during that two week gap.

Give me some ideas on vacation places I can go.

I was considering hitting up D.C. to hang out w/ some friends.

NYC sounds nice, but I don't know anybody up there and I've never been, would that hamper my ability to have a good time tho?

I've been to Chi-town once, but that was w/ a group of friends. This time I'll be dolo.

Converse and Opinionate, please!
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: End of Summer Vacation ideas?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 10:16:41 PM »

NYC sounds nice, but I don't know anybody up there and I've never been, would that hamper my ability to have a good time tho?

I've been to Chi-town once, but that was w/ a group of friends. This time I'll be dolo.

As far as I'm concerned, NYC is one of the best cities in the world!  You'll run out of time long before you run out of things to do.  Find a neighborhood bar- not a sketchy place, but definitely not something that looks too new & chic- it likely won't have a group of regulars yet.  I think New Yorkers are great and incredibly friendly; they've gotten a bad rep.  Strike up a conversation with a group around your age and you'll have a tour guide in no time. ;D  D.C.'s great, never been to Chi-town, so I can't speak to this.

t1016

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 10:04:01 AM »
I agree New York would be a great place to hang out.. you can do the typical Time Square tour and then go up and hang in Harlem for a while (a lot of culture there and I just personally love the vibe)..

You can also do the Statue of liberty, Ellis Island..maybe catch a show on Broadway.. the list is endless.

I used to live right outside of DC in Northern VA.. lots of fun times there as well.. U Street is a great little hangout ( at least when I was there a few years back) and of course they have a number of "tourist" type of things to do..

Never been to Chi-town, it is on my short list though.

Whatever you decide, hope you have a great time!
Miracles and  Blessings!

fsohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 10:08:27 AM »
Chicago is the best baseball city in the world. Period.  The Sox play Boston the second weekend of August, and the Cubs are playing St. Louis.  If baseball is at all your thing, Chicago would not be a bad place to spend a summer weekend.

dsetterl

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 01:09:14 PM »
How about you go camping. Go hike the AT. GO white water rafting. Go on a canoe trip. Go to a beach.

Finesse

• Obama08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 05:59:32 PM »
NYC! Best city on the planet!
LSAT 166 GPA 3.57 URM

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 01:48:53 PM »
Where are some good places to stay in NYC?

A lot of people I've talked to have said Manhattan. I plan on flying into La Guradia.

What is a good place to stay that will be close to a lot interest attractions?

University of Law '09

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 06:54:31 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, NYC is one of the best cities in the world!

NYC! Best city on the planet!

These Are The Credited Responses!!!  Two times!

I love Chi-Town.  One of the greatest Modern Architecture cities in the world. 

I just got back from DC this past weekend. DC is cool, a lot of historical monuments, the SCOTUS, etc. and it has some, IMHO, the greatest concentration of young black professionals in the nation, with ATL as a close second. 

However, none of these places can touch NYC, the greatest collection of people, culture, diversity, tourist attractions, cutting edge of finances, cutting edge of business, cutting edge of fashion, cutting edge of music, great food, great clubs, great lounges (my favorite), great hole in the wall spot where the tourists can't find you, the largest skyline of any city in the United States hands down, not to mention the largest public transportation of any city in the country that will take you pretty much to wherever you want to go throughout the entire city for only $2 and it runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365.

As far as places to stay, I'd stay with any friends if you have them. Save your loot.  If not, then any hotel in mid-town, the village, union square, the meatpacking district, or SoHo would put you right in the middle of it.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 07:03:05 PM »
As far as places to stay, I'd stay with any friends if you have them. Save your loot.  If not, then any hotel in mid-town, the village, union square, the meatpacking district, or SoHo would put you right in the middle of it.

I agree that these are the best places to stay, but they'll also be some of the most expensive :-[  Hopefully you've got a connection in the city!

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 10:42:13 AM »
I got a friend that is moving up there for Grad school. But he's movin' in on the 3rd and I plan on taking my trip on the 8th. I wouldn't feel right crashing at the man's place and he hasn't even been there for a week.

Now for NYE's that's a DIFFERENT story.

As far as a spot to lay my head, I found some reasonable prices for Hotels in Long Island City that are right next to the train. Plus it'll put me closer to La Guardia than if I stayed in Manhattan.

What's ya'll take on that part of Queens?

University of Law '09