Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT: TEST OF SMART'S OR ENDURANCE  (Read 2100 times)

Go Gators

• I want my brother home form Iraq! I miss ya, Bro.
    • View Profile
    • Real News!
LSAT: TEST OF SMART'S OR ENDURANCE
« on: July 07, 2008, 10:45:44 AM »
Is the LSAT a test of smarts or is it a test that can be mastered if months and months of practice and effort are put into it?

If this was the case wouldn't a person who initially scored a 145 be able to score a 175 after a year of intense study? ???
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"

-- Benjamin Franklin

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=WannaGetIn

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
Re: LSAT: TEST OF SMART'S OR ENDURANCE
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 11:34:40 AM »
Test of smarts and endurance- I increased from a raw 149 to a 169, but I know many people who could study for a year and not crack 145.  Some people are just naturally better at picking up stuff like that, due to intelligence or simply how the brain operates.
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 12:06:18 PM »
I think it's definately a mix of both but I do think the LSAT is a learnable test. If your brain doesn't work the way the LSAT works, then you need to reshape how you think when you work on the LSAT. A lot of people understand logic in a different way than how the LSAT creates it, but they change how they think about logic when working on the LSAT. Of course I think you need study aides if you can't do this naturally, but I think it's possible that if you work hard enough and create good study habits and if you have trouble with the way the LSAT thinks, getting tutoring, it is possible for anyone to go from a 149 to a 175 though it'll be more work than going from a 165 to a 175 and will probably take longer.

waywedo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 02:47:03 PM »
The answer is both.

Some people who score a 140's diagnostic could go to 175.  Some could not.  The idea that "anyone" could do it is ridiculous - I know plenty of people who couldn't, no matter hoe hard they worked.

Likewise, a person with a mid-160's diagnostic would have an easier time going to 175 - but its still possible that person will never score higher than that.

Like most things in life, hard work will improve an LSAT score, but we are all still limited by our natural abilities.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 02:49:38 PM »
Actually, I think it is more a measure of disposable income and free time.

archival

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • intj
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 03:32:14 PM »
Actually, I think it is more a measure of disposable income and free time.

Zing.
But how do you deal with someone who rejects your broad moral principles?
I kill them.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 04:54:36 PM »
Thanks, I'll be here all week.

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 05:04:35 PM »
He's telling the truth though.  Anyone who buys the powerscore bibles and can put 50 hours into studying should break 165.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
Oh, I was perfectly serious. I just don't think it is a perspective that gets a lot of play on these boards.

archival

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • intj
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 05:34:36 PM »
Oh, I was perfectly serious. I just don't think it is a perspective that gets a lot of play on these boards.

Oh but it does!

Somebody:  With enough time and the right practice, anybody can get a 180!
Somebody else:  That's... not true.
Somebody: Yes it is!
Somebody else: Um, ok.

Maybe your post will spark this year's version.

ETA: I still agree with P: "[T]he learned skills (of reasoning, standard English fluency, concentration, recognition of spatial patterns, etc.), the psychological dispositions, and the environments that engender good standardized testtaking and high performance on the LSAT are not simply a product of individual will.  They are functions of, among other things, temperament; income and wealth; cultural background; and years of quality education."
But how do you deal with someone who rejects your broad moral principles?
I kill them.