Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring?  (Read 1700 times)

SC0661

• View Profile
    • Email
Transferring?
« on: July 07, 2008, 12:59:19 AM »
Hey guys- Question: if you go to transfer after your 1L year to a better school, do they still look at your LSAT score? I know they don't look at your SAT when you transfer in UG, so I was wondering if it worked the same way.

Also, say someone goes to a lower-ranked school such as Roger Williams or WNEC for his/her first year and ends up in the very top of his/her class, say top 5 people, what are the best schools you think this person might have a shot at transferring into? Thanks.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: Transferring?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 01:29:29 AM »
Hey guys- Question: if you go to transfer after your 1L year to a better school, do they still look at your LSAT score? I know they don't look at your SAT when you transfer in UG, so I was wondering if it worked the same way.

I sure hope so.  I think they still request an LSDAS report, so they'll have the score regardless.

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 01:50:55 AM »
In general, no, they don't care what your LSAT was, provided your class rank is good.

baileypicks24

• Sr. Citizen
  • You have food, a roof, and security. Shut up.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 02:04:24 PM »
The LSAT is supposedly a predictor of your performance in law school.

If you perform well, why would they need your LSAT score?

That being said, I think it's a golden rule NEVER to go to a school with the sole intention of transferring to a better school. People do it, but the probability is against you. Go to a school where, if all else fails, you could reasonably see yourself studying for 3 years, and potentially practicing in that region afterwards.

Good luck!

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 05:00:11 PM »

Shameless on your part. That means you actually took the time to go to Google and search for images. Boo on you, sir.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 12:34:41 AM »
The LSAT is supposedly a predictor of your performance in law school.

If you perform well, why would they need your LSAT score?

Who knows.  GRE is supposedly a predictor of your performance in a graduate program, but I've had GRE students with PhDs who still needed a current GRE score to apply to whatever program.

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 02:04:43 PM »
In general, no, they don't care what your LSAT was, provided your class rank is good.

Another example of the bad information you'll get on this site. This post is 100% specious. This poster has never been in admissions office. This poster has probably never filled out a transfer application. And yet, this poster was compelled to toss something that seems correct out there to, you know, muddy the waters.

Actually, he is correct and you can confirm that by looking at various law school websites.  I personally know because I've gotten into several top 10 law schools with a horrible undergrad gpa and a horrible lsat.  If you want further confirmation of this take a look through transferapps database.
Boalt Hall '10

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 04:22:33 PM »
This is from the "Ask AdmissionsConsultants" thread:

In terms of transfer applications, first-year grades and your class rank are the most important factors.  After that, your motivation for transferring is also important. The reputation of the law school and LOR from the law school faculty will also come into play (you might equate them to soft factors).   Law Schools will see your LSAT score (they will ask for a copy of your LSDAS report) but that LSAT score and UGPA won't be nearly as important as the first time around.

Hope this answers your question.

Amy

Amy Johnson
Senior Consultant
AdmissionsConsultants, Inc.
ajohnson@admissionsconsultants.com

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 04:26:43 PM »

Another example of the bad information you'll get on this site. This post is 100% specious. This poster has never been in admissions office. This poster has probably never filled out a transfer application. And yet, this poster was compelled to toss something that seems correct out there to, you know, muddy the waters.

Actually, he is correct and you can confirm that by looking at various law school websites.  I personally know because I've gotten into several top 10 law schools with a horrible undergrad gpa and a horrible lsat.  If you want further confirmation of this take a look through transferapps database.

Haha, thanks. I laughed when I saw that jackasses post because not only did I already know I was right, he went on to rant like a retard about the site in general. Yes there is some terrible advice on this board, but never from me  ;D

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 09:29:33 PM »
I think it matters some, but great preformance in your 1L year can definately overcome a lacklustre LSAT.  The thing is you don't need to be in the top 10% to transfer, that's a myth.  Lots of people successfully do it from the top half and can jump 50 spots or more up USNews.  Schools are looking for driven candidates who distingushed themselves during 1L, not just the ones who wrote the best exams.  If you distinguished yourself on the LSAT that could work in your favor too.  If you did really poorly it could also say something about your dedication to law school and the practice of the law in general.