Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rutgers-Camden much worse than Rutgers-Newark?  (Read 617 times)

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Rutgers-Camden much worse than Rutgers-Newark?
« on: July 07, 2008, 12:54:50 AM »
According to NLJ250 placement, it's about 14% vs. 9%.  I thought Newark was in a more competitive market and so would be lower; also, Newark has slightly lower LSAT numbers.  Anybody know why this is?

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/20080414employment_trends.pdf

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
Re: Rutgers-Camden much worse than Rutgers-Newark?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 11:53:43 AM »
Newark is basically a part of NYC - Camden is basically in Philly.  Compare, for instance, Indiana-Bloomington and IU-Indianapolis.  I think you'll see a similar dynamic where the more competitive school has less biglaw placement at the very top due to its location.

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 08:28:20 PM »
Rutgers-Camden is also lower than Villanova and Temple also, with similar numbers on GPA and LSAT.  I'm worried they seem to be placing worse than other similar T2 schools.  The clerkship % could have a little to do with it, but I'm not sure how much.

lakers24

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 11:02:10 PM »
Rutgers Newark has an post admissions program called MSP that gives opportunities for internships.

It also has a pre-admissions program that takes into consideration things beyond GPA/LSAT.

Could it be that these two programs have something to do with the lower GPA/LSAT and higher Big Law placement.

If it matters at all when I was choosing between RU-Camden and RU-Newark I heard nothing but good things about RU-Camden's Big Law placement.