Law School Discussion

Car shopping

Saxby Clemens II

• I'm Chuck Bass.
    • View Profile
Re: Car shopping
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 04:18:38 PM »
Aw, I loved both our Tauruses.  Tauri?  Whatever.  Both first generation, both fantastic cars. 

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 04:39:57 PM »
All these comments are great. I want to hear the good and bad from people who've actually driven the car.

I had serious buyer's remorse about a month after buying my Cavalier. This sounds kind of silly, but it's a 2-door and the doors on the thing are obnoxiously long. It makes it a problem in tight parking spaces. It's one of those things you might not notice in the half hour test drive.

I'll take a look at some of the American cars. My Cavalier runs just fine, and I'm sure I could get another 50k into it if I had to.

Matthies

• View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 05:44:08 PM »
All these comments are great. I want to hear the good and bad from people who've actually driven the car.

I had serious buyer's remorse about a month after buying my Cavalier. This sounds kind of silly, but it's a 2-door and the doors on the thing are obnoxiously long. It makes it a problem in tight parking spaces. It's one of those things you might not notice in the half hour test drive.

I'll take a look at some of the American cars. My Cavalier runs just fine, and I'm sure I could get another 50k into it if I had to.

Ack, what year is your Caviler? I don’t know if they fixed it or not but like the 98 body style was voted the most unsafe car made. It had really bad mortality ranking for side impacts. A friend of mine had one and the dealership would not take in as a trade because it was too unsafe. Get a new car quick, and be careful!

Edit you can check the crash tests here: http://www.automotive.com/used-cars/safety/11/chevrolet/cavalier/index.html Looks like they did not fix it cause the 2003 has ZERO stars for side impact.

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 06:20:29 PM »
It's a 2005–that's the last year they sold them before they came out with the Cobalt. Well at least it has one star....

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 06:23:22 PM »
It's a 2005–that's the last year they sold them before they came out with the Cobalt. Well at least it has one star....

Just left turns so the poassenger side is out till you get a new car  ;D

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 06:28:25 PM »
I have another question–does anyone have any suggestions for how not to get hosed at the dealership? I'm 25, short, blonde–I look like someone the salesman's going to think he can take advantage of...

Any suggestions other than just bring along my dad?

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 06:30:27 PM »
Bringing my dad worked well for me.

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 06:43:12 PM »
I have another question–does anyone have any suggestions for how not to get hosed at the dealership? I'm 25, short, blonde–I look like someone the salesman's going to think he can take advantage of...

Ask around from people you know if they have any suggestions for “auto brokers” these guys are kind of like real estate brokers, but for cars. You tell them what brand, how much you want to pay and what options and they find you the car and best deal. I have found they have saved me between 3-8k over what the same car ( I mean the SAME CAR that they bought from the dealer then sold to me) at the dealership costs, because they get them wholesale. You will get a better deal on American cars from a broker (because they keep the rebates) but they can still save you money on imports, and you don’t get as screwed over. They are also great for used cars, I referred my friend and she asked for a less than four year old Mercedes Benz S class AWD for less than $35k.  Within two weeks they found her a 2005 S420 AWD with 37k miles for $32k. 

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 07:20:47 PM »

The best thing you can do is research on the car your trading in and the car you're looking to buy, but don't let the salesperson know you've done this.  Tied for first place with that is being able to walk away from a car you want.  I mean, literally be able to say "ok, if that's the best deal you can get for me, I appreciate your time..." and then turn and start to head out the door.  Nine times out of ten, they'll find some "manager's special" to bring the price of the car down.   Good luck with your search ;)

Gone

• Goodbye All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 07:40:41 PM »

The best thing you can do is research on the car your trading in and the car you're looking to buy, but don't let the salesperson know you've done this. 

Why? (the second part) This is a very useful thread btw, thanks all.