Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mexican-American with 3.3/170---Chances at T14?  (Read 2395 times)

internet!!!!

• View Profile
Mexican-American with 3.3/170---Chances at T14?
« on: July 06, 2008, 05:31:50 PM »
Hi all.

The thread title is probably pretty self-explanatory.  I'm more interested in my odds at CCN, as I'm pretty convinced that my odds at HYS are rather slim.

And what about odds at UCLA/Vanderbilt/Texas?

For what it's worth, I'm a CA resident.

Thanks!

Laura Roslin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Mexican-American with 3.3/170---Chances at T14?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 06:24:28 PM »
Hi all.

The thread title is probably pretty self-explanatory.  I'm more interested in my odds at CCN, as I'm pretty convinced that my odds at HYS are rather slim.

Thanks!

URM admissions are somewhat erratic.  Your LSAT is excellent and would give you a shot at a couple of lower T14s anyway.   I think CCN is not out of reach, and several of 7-14 are very likely - though predicting in advance which schools will admit you is tough.  (But Georgetown loves 170s, and with your URM status, it seems like a near-lock.)

UCLA, like many Cali schools, seems to prefer high GPA over high LSAT, but being URM and in-state may help you overcome that.  (I'm hesitant to say more because I'm not clear the extent to which AA is limited in practice by California's laws against preferences in admissions.)   I think your odds for Vanderbilt and Texas are excellent. With your background, I would apply everywhere and see where you can get in.  (I predict you'll receive a lot of fee waivers...)  Good luck!
I have a PhD in horribleness!

LSN

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 10:31:41 AM »

You're probably in everywhere but HYS, with a shot there as well.  There just aren't that many mexican-american 170's. 

Don't really need to apply outside the T14, unless you want a full-ride somewhere.  You're probably going to be in at CCN as well.

Hi all.

Thanks!

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 05:12:14 PM »

You're probably in everywhere but HYS, with a shot there as well. 

I disagree.  Boalt would probably not take him with a 3.3.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 07:28:21 AM »

You're probably in everywhere but HYS, with a shot there as well. 

I disagree.  Boalt would probably not take him with a 3.3.

Fair enough.  Just a shot at Boalt.