Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question for those who did NOT take a year off...  (Read 318 times)

WashLaw

• View Profile
Question for those who did NOT take a year off...
« on: July 06, 2008, 01:10:48 PM »
Do you regret it? Are you glad you did it? Anything you would have done differently?
I'm weighing my options and want some advise

squirrelrogue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Question for those who did NOT take a year off...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 01:24:03 PM »
its a mixed bag. i went straight through, and on the whole i don't regret it, but there were times when i did.

cons-

you miss out on what could probably be some very fun experiences. it seems nice to have a job you don't take that seriously and take time to just relax and think about your life.

you lack real world experience that employers might value.

you will be less worldly than your peers and feel less cool.

depending on the person, you may be burned out from undergrad and not work up to your full potential.

pros-

you are still in the academic/study mindset while many of your peers are used to never working on nights or weekends.

you get it over with. in a few years, when your friends who took time off eventually go back to school, you will already have finished and started a career.

if you know you want to go to law school, anything you do in the meantime will probably just be killing time and you might find yourself with more interesting opportunities once you have your JD.

it's a close call that depends a lot on the person. there will probably be times when you regret going straight to law school, but overall it probably evens out.