Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: rec from employer vs professor  (Read 2081 times)

• View Profile
rec from employer vs professor
« on: July 06, 2008, 10:50:55 AM »
I know getting a letter of recommendation from an employer rather than a professor is discouraged, especially if you're applying right from undergrad (which I am), but will it really have a bad effect on your application? I go to a really large school where most of my classes range between 100-250 students, so it's hard to get to know the professors.  I have only ever had one small class, and I will be asking that professor for a recommendation.  For a second letter, I'd have to approach a professor who does not know me at all. I guess I could meet with her to talk a few times, give her writing samples, etc, but I feel like she wouldn't be able to write a strong, enthusiastic letter for me.  On the other hand, my employer knows me very well, she is a fantastic writer, and she really values my work.  So, is it better to take on okay letter from a professor or a great letter from an employer? I could get all three, but some schools only will take two, right? Thanks for your help!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: rec from employer vs professor
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 07:32:10 PM »
I'd say get all three. In my experience, all of my schools took all three of my letters, even though most only required two.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 07:49:14 PM »
I'd say get all three. In my experience, all of my schools took all three of my letters, even though most only required two.

Oh,okay.  That's good news. Thanks!

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 10:43:26 PM »
The LSAC has a list that shows how many LOR a school accepts. Take note though that the LSAC sends out the LOR in the order they were recieved. EX: if your employer sent thier letter in 2nd it might be recieved from schools only accepting 2 LOR's: not your 2nd professor's.

http://lsac.org/Applying/LOR_Preferences.asp

Surely not all of your upper level classes were 100+? My school had 30,000+ students and most of my upper level classes were not above ~30.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 11:07:28 PM »
Thanks, Clayton.  That list will help me out a lot.  But yeah, my classes were definitely all large (except one).  I think it has to do with my major because my friends all ended up with much smaller classes than I did. I like big classes as I like to be invisible, but now with this LOR business I'm realizing I should have tried to get into some smaller ones or at least gone to office hours.

dsetterl

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 11:40:27 PM »
I don't think it matters that you had classes with 150 plus people. I got 5 LORs and a couple were from really large classes. It's important to remember that professors work for you; what's a teacher without students?. It is their job to write recs and most will be more than delighted to write you a letter. If you just meet and have your spiel ready about how you want to go to law school and how you felt their class helped you; they will jump on the chance. (That was the case for me) I also brought a paper I wrote for their class, transcript, resume and a copy of my personal statement for them to read. Also be sure to give an envelope with stamps on it! Good Luck and hope this helps!

P.S.- I think the academic would write a better LOR than any employer. Teachers want to see their students succeed and a teacher will tell you no if they won't write a strong letter. A teacher I had in a large class, but had an A, wrote me a stellar recommendation ( Assistant dean told me about the rec) even though she really never had an opportunity to get to know me.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 12:01:53 AM »
I don't think it matters that you had classes with 150 plus people. I got 5 LORs and a couple were from really large classes. It's important to remember that professors work for you; what's a teacher without students?. It is their job to write recs and most will be more than delighted to write you a letter. If you just meet and have your spiel ready about how you want to go to law school and how you felt their class helped you they will jump on the chance. (That was the case for me) I also brought a paper I wrote for their class, transcript, resume and a copy of my personal statement for them to read. Also be sure to give an envelope with stamps on it! Good Luck and hope this helps!

P.S.- I think the academic would write a better LOR than any employer. Teachers want to see their students succeed and a teacher will tell you no if they won't write a strong letter. A teacher I had in a large class, but had the highest grade, wrote me a stellar recommendation ( Assistant dean told me about the rec) even though she really never had an opportunity to really get to know me.

This is probably the best advice I've ever read about getting a letter from a professor that you had a large class with. Well done.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 09:22:17 AM »
I don't think it matters that you had classes with 150 plus people. I got 5 LORs and a couple were from really large classes. It's important to remember that professors work for you; what's a teacher without students?. It is their job to write recs and most will be more than delighted to write you a letter. If you just meet and have your spiel ready about how you want to go to law school and how you felt their class helped you, they will jump on the chance. (That was the case for me) I also brought a paper I wrote for their class, transcript, resume and a copy of my personal statement for them to read. Also be sure to give an envelope with stamps on it! Good Luck and hope this helps!

P.S.- I think the academic would write a better LOR than any employer. Teachers want to see their students succeed and a teacher will tell you no if they won't write a strong letter. A teacher I had in a large class, but had an A, wrote me a stellar recommendation ( Assistant dean told me about the rec) even though she really never had an opportunity to really get to know me.

Thank you!! That's really good advice. I was worried that professors wouldn't be willing to do it if they didn't know me, but now I'm feeling much better about it.  I'll try all that out, and I'm glad it worked out for you!