Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Low GPA, High LSAT  (Read 5637 times)

russhey

• View Profile
Re: Low GPA, High LSAT
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 01:18:36 PM »
I've already taken a teaching position job (teaching high school history and govenment) for the next year and have signed my contract, so I won't be putting that off.
GPA: 2.1, LSAT: 174

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 01:20:17 PM »
I've already taken a teaching position job (teaching high school history and govenment) for the next year and have signed my contract, so I won't be putting that off.

Well, then it might be a rough cycle.  Write an incredible addendum and cast a wide net.  Good luck ;)  

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 01:21:48 PM »
I doubt tier one is out of the question.  Particularly if you have a good addendum. I have a buddy who had a 2.3 GPA (no real excuse either) from a glorified community college and a 180.  He got into a few T1's and went to the U of Utah for law school.  You are going to have to put in a lot of applications though to be safe.  Meeting with dean's probably isn't a bad idea either.

russhey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 01:22:24 PM »
I will be casting a wide net, the two schools I'm interested in are Denver and Utah, but I'll be applying all around.

dsetterl

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 01:23:18 PM »
I wish you the best. You should spend about 2000 dollars and apply to all 193 schools. Good Luck! I think you will probably get into Denver. Just MPO.

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 01:27:13 PM »
I will be casting a wide net, the two schools I'm interested in are Denver and Utah, but I'll be applying all around.

Denver looks pretty likely, look at their grid at the bottom of the 2nd page.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/LSAC_LawSchoolDescription/LSAC4842.pdf

russhey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 10:53:56 PM »
Well I do have some updated information.  Grades just came in for summer 1., and I'm currently in summer 2.  Based on summer 1. (and how I think I'll do summer 2.), my GPA will be approx. 2.2-2.25.  Obviously still bad, but will it make a big difference from a 2.1?

Also, my last 40 hours have been a 3.4.

Will this make any difference at all do you think?

Thanks!

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 11:02:07 PM »
Well I do have some updated information.  Grades just came in for summer 1., and I'm currently in summer 2.  Based on summer 1. (and how I think I'll do summer 2.), my GPA will be approx. 2.2-2.25.  Obviously still bad, but will it make a big difference from a 2.1?

Also, my last 40 hours have been a 3.4.

Will this make any difference at all do you think?

Thanks!

It'll help a bit, but it's still going to be a challenge.  I feel you here...I had a couple of bad semesters due to circumstances beyond my control.  Stress the upward trend and most recent grades in your addendum and wish for the best.  Good luck!

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 11:31:10 PM »
I would apply to the list as follows:

Fordham 25%
George Washington 30%
Georgetown 25%
Northwestern 25%
Notre Dame 35%
Illinois 25%
Texas 25%
WUSTL 75%
Washington and Lee 35%
Emory 25%

The percentages are based on the LSAT/UGPA calculator at the LSAC website.

You know how many people have wet dreams of WUSTL, Emory and Illinois as their safeties? You will get into a good school, you may even get into a T14.

I would write an addendum explaining your grades and call the admissions offices where you apply. Write a good personal statement and get some good letters of recommendation! Good luck!

russhey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 11:40:10 PM »
Thank you for the boost in confidence!  I'm just worried the numbers may not play out as well for me as they show, since I'm such a big splitter. 

I do have dreams of U of Texas, even though I know it's basically impossible.  For what it's worth, my undergrad is from U of Texas.