Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Low GPA, High LSAT  (Read 5722 times)

russhey

• View Profile
Low GPA, High LSAT
« on: July 05, 2008, 12:50:48 PM »
HI!

I have a very low GPA, 2.1 (I had some health issues during the entire 2007 school year which killed my GPA), but I got a 174 on my LSAT.

I'm looking at schools in the midwest, i.e.: Denver and Utah.  What are my chances, and what other schools should I be looking at?

Thanks!!
GPA: 2.1, LSAT: 174

dsetterl

Re: Low GPA, High LSAT
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 12:53:31 PM »
Yikes. Why did you not withdraw for a semester?

russhey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 12:55:45 PM »
HOnestly, I just thought I could do it.  I was taking 18 hours to boot, and ended up with 2 C's, 2 D's, and 2 F's.  OUch.

But, I can't change anything now.

dsetterl

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 01:01:29 PM »
Well, I would contact an admissions office. Depending on the illness you may get a pretty good break. Your LSAT is amazing, but I think your are definitely out of Tier 1.  However as a splitter, who knows? If you show improvement after that semester and it clearly was a fluke you may be ok. Have you already graduated and declared your degree. If not I would try some good ole' grade forgiveness, my school allowed to make up 2 classes. If you already have graduated, I would shotgun it and apply everywhere. Even some Tier 4's. I would pick your top schools and make it an objective to go and sit and talk with the Assistant Dean of Admissions, go to events, etc. They say that stuff doesn't matter but it definitely couldn't hurt.

russhey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 01:05:10 PM »
I will graduate next month (poli sci major), and my last 36 hours I had a 3.3 GPA.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 01:10:36 PM »
Any way you can postpone this?

ETA: Maybe add another degree?  It would give you the chance to turn your GPA around and show that the 2007 semester was earlier in your UG career.  Seriously, if you graduate now...your 2.1 GPA may haunt you.

russhey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 01:11:51 PM »
No, I'm definitely graduating, not changing it.

dsetterl

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 01:13:15 PM »
Like I said I would shotgun spread our apps. A 3.3 is better. It really depends on your situation. I mean your LSAT is so high that if you can show that it really was the illness, and you weren't lazy, you should be alright. Just look for splitter threads and the LSAC gpa calculator.  I mean why not postpone it? You are going to have to sit out a year anyways. Retake those two F classes and you really wouldn't have to worry about anything.

dsetterl

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 01:14:29 PM »
I agree with Goya. You are going to have to talk to the assistant dean of admissions.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 01:17:12 PM »
Like I said I would shotgun spread our apps. A 3.3 is better. It really depends on your situation. I mean your LSAT is so high that if you can show that it really was the illness, and you weren't lazy, you should be alright. Just look for splitter threads and the LSAC gpa calculator.  I mean why not postpone it? You are going to have to sit out a year anyways. Retake those two F classes and you really wouldn't have to worry about anything.

Be careful about retaking classes- your school may recalculate your GPA so they don't count, but LSAC will include them.  Like dsetter said, you have to hang out another year, why not take classes while you do it?  It's going to be better for you in the long run to postpone graduation and maybe add another major than it will be to apply with a 2.1.  It sucks that one semester/year can have that impact, but it does.