Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Prospects  (Read 2003 times)

lawdork

• View Profile
Prospects
« on: July 04, 2008, 01:10:56 PM »
So I'm just curious what kind of prospects there might be for me 2L summer.  Right now I'm at a tier 2 school in the mountain west, I think we're ranked #51 or something.  Anyways, I'm in the top 10% of my class, I'm on law review next year, and I've recieved several academic awards this past year.  Anyways, just curious what I'll be looking at for next summer, if anyone has any idea.

lawdork

• View Profile
Re: Prospects
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 11:56:24 PM »
anyone else?  What about in the "real" markets (chicago, NY, Dallas) any chances?

NYC2L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 12:52:31 AM »
Your school should provide a list of firms that interview at your school and top 10% should put you in a position to get interviews at most of those firms. If firms in "real" markets do not interview at your school, consider contacting those firms directly for interviews especially any firms with alum from your school. As a last resort, you could transfer to a school in a "real" market but it is now pretty late for that. IMO your prospects for entering "real" markets are best in CA and TX. Hence, Dallas and Houston are probably options. Again, check with your school for less speculative information.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 01:53:38 AM »
anyone else?  What about in the "real" markets (chicago, NY, Dallas) any chances?

Do you have any connections to those markets?

h2xblive

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 06:53:27 PM »
I think you'll be fine no matter what you decide, but it will obviously be much easier to get a job closer to your school.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 08:21:04 PM »
Stay outta Portland.

You should be fine just about anywhere else you go.

I'd really like to work in Portland.
Since you did pretty damned well, I would appreciate you staying out of my target market.

Thank you.

number34

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 09:02:02 PM »
Your school should provide a list of firms that interview at your school and top 10% should put you in a position to get interviews at most of those firms. If firms in "real" markets do not interview at your school, consider contacting those firms directly for interviews especially any firms with alum from your school. As a last resort, you could transfer to a school in a "real" market but it is now pretty late for that. IMO your prospects for entering "real" markets are best in CA and TX. Hence, Dallas and Houston are probably options. Again, check with your school for less speculative information.

The quoted above has got to be the best advice. Also, the NALP Directory is really helpful here as many firms in it list the schools at which they recruit. http://www.nalpdirectory.com/

You can also go to firms' website as many list there as well where they recruit. I agree with the quoted above that you got a decent shot with whoever recruits at your school given your ranking (congrats, by the way).

lawdork

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 01:22:10 AM »
Thanks everyone for all of your advice.  First of all, I'm actually hoping to land a job in the market where my school is, however it's incredibly selective, and somewhat difficult for me because I have no ties at all to the west, which seems to be important.  I was born and raised about 30 minutes outside of NYC and I also spent a few years living in Chicago so I'm primarily interested in those markets.  I've already sent out a bunch of resumes to firms in those cities, and I've already recieved a few rejection e-mails saying they wont e-mail me. In fact, in took on high-ranking NYC firm literally 6 minutes to send me a denial e-mail from the time I clicked send until it reached my inbox.