Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many miles for your big move?  (Read 8808 times)

jd2bee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How many miles for your big move?
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2008, 01:56:07 PM »
I'm moving from Philly to Winston-Salem--it's about an 8 hour drive.  To the people paying $3000+ plus to move all their stuff: is that really even worth it?  Why don't you just craigslist the hell out of furniture/TVs/etc when you get down there?  And yes, craigslist is a verb.

I thought about this, but our big screen LCD alone is worth $3000.  Add all of the furniture and the mass amounts of kitchen stuff that we have, mountain bikes, snowboarding equipment and it adds up to well over $3000.

pete.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2008, 03:59:39 PM »
2,702 Miles, according to google to drive from virginia to U of idaho, via denver and yellowstone. Pulling a U-Haul trailer, I figure >$1,000 on gas alone.

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2008, 04:56:15 PM »
You mind if I ask how much you got your uhaul trailer for.  I am doing the same from Pittsburgh to Berkeley but the trailer was outrageous 1000 bucks for the 6 by 12.
Boalt Hall '10

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2008, 05:04:15 PM »
Try Penske too. They were cheaper than uhaul when I priced them. I believe they have a v6 though and lower gas mileage.

AmericanGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Huge soccer fan, obviously...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2008, 05:16:53 PM »
When I looked today, uhaul was half as much as Penske was. I think it varies by location, and how many trucks they have available to rent.
"Please stop using obscenities in front of these people, or I'll be forced to thrash you."

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2008, 05:36:57 PM »
BTW, I used a UHaul yesterday for some preliminary moving and got a charming 6 miles to the gallon. The guy said that was pretty standard.

Huzzah.

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2008, 07:37:13 PM »
BTW, I used a UHaul yesterday for some preliminary moving and got a charming 6 miles to the gallon. The guy said that was pretty standard.

Huzzah.

Ouch... with a full 16' truck towing a car, I averaged 9.5 ... which was much better than I thought I would get.

AmericanGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Huge soccer fan, obviously...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2008, 10:46:19 AM »

Huzzah.

I only need the small truck. It's supposed to get 10-12 mpg, but I might be towing a car as well. I'll be seeing about 8 or so MPG for 600 miles.

Thankfully I'm driving through the midwest, where gas is still comparatively cheap.
"Please stop using obscenities in front of these people, or I'll be forced to thrash you."

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2008, 03:38:47 PM »
I gave notice today!!!! That felt great. My movers come to pick up my poo on Monday. This is starting to feel very real.

Rutgers4me

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2008, 11:01:28 PM »
About 700 miles or 8 hours...to Buffalo!