Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many miles for your big move?  (Read 8997 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How many miles for your big move?
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2008, 01:33:22 AM »
Tomorrow will be the first day not waking up to have to go to work. Now all I have to do is move and then I can get to important things like NCAA Football 2009.

TITCR. :)
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2008, 01:48:26 AM »
Tomorrow will be the first day not waking up to have to go to work. Now all I have to do is move and then I can get to important things like NCAA Football 2009.

Absolutely. I think I'm gonna get all of NCAA and GTA4 out of the way before school starts, else I just flunk out.
Tulane c/o 2011

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2008, 10:51:38 AM »
For those of you who left jobs with a longer tenure, how much notice did you give? The standard 2 weeks?

jd2bee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2008, 11:09:23 AM »
For those of you who left jobs with a longer tenure, how much notice did you give? The standard 2 weeks?

I've worked for my firm for about 3 years and I gave MONTHS and MONTHS of notice.  However, I was very honest with my firm about the fact that I was applying to law school and used one person from the firm as a reference.  I was really lucky, but I know not everyone can do this.  My boyfriend gave his firm about 6 weeks notice.  I think the amount of notice you give depends on your relationship with your firm (especially your boss), the actual job that you have, and the amount of time that you've worked there.  I do not, however, think there is a one-size-fits-all standard to notice - you have to feel it out and weigh your money needs with the likelihood that you will be terminated early, etc.

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2008, 07:22:20 PM »

about 6 months, but I have been there 15years and my boss knew that I was leaving to go to law school after i finished my UG.
University of Oklahoma '11

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2008, 09:40:54 PM »
Another question for the day:

How many days left before you quit your job???

Two and a half weeks. :)

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2008, 09:42:50 PM »

I've been at my job for a little over three years. My contract goes until the 5th but I'm "taking my vacation" starting the 1st. I gave them about a month notice about my early vacation/quitting time.

frapp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2008, 01:48:03 AM »
I'm moving from Philly to Winston-Salem--it's about an 8 hour drive.  To the people paying $3000+ plus to move all their stuff: is that really even worth it?  Why don't you just craigslist the hell out of furniture/TVs/etc when you get down there?  And yes, craigslist is a verb.
Wake Forest Law 2011

justjeffrey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2008, 10:01:26 AM »
Been at my job 5 yrs - still have not said anything.
Im slated for a promotion in August too; boss is being promoted so I have been told I will move up along with her.

Its gonna be wild giving them my notice. Nobody has a clue that I have been accepted to school.

Is three weeks good for an employee who has been there for 5yrs? I have to weigh my money situation with the fact that I might get replaced right away.

dsetterl

« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2008, 11:54:24 AM »
You should check your company's policy manual to see how many days they require you to give for them to buy back your PTO days. That is as many as I would give.