Law School Discussion

How many miles for your big move?

dsetterl

How many miles for your big move?
« on: July 04, 2008, 07:16:03 AM »
I am only moving 400 miles, but that is only across the state. I never knew how much it was going to cost. The gas I will pay for the u-haul is going to make it astronomically  expensive. Anyone else feel the moving pain. Sigh, there goes all the money I tried to save this year.

OlderandWiser

• It's not creepy, it's kittens
    • View Profile
Re: How many miles for your big move?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 07:33:25 AM »
Definitely.  My move is in two parts.  In May I moved from NYC to Michigan.  And in August I will move from Michigan to Seattle.  The first move I rented a Uhaul trailer.  The second I think I am going to use a moving company.  The cost of renting a truck plus gas is almost the same as going through the moving company (after a coupon for 55% off).  Plus it saves on the intangible cost of loading and unloading.  But yeah, it still is going to cost me a pretty penny to do it.  I feel your pain. 

Alecto

• Class of 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 09:45:01 AM »
We already made the move -- over 600 miles from Georgia to Indiana.  I think the truck (12' from Penske) was about $502 including the insurance and crap, and gas was about another $200.  It's expensive, no matter how you go about it.

UnoriginalAndrew

• I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 09:58:25 AM »
1423 miles for me, from my home in Florida to my place in Boston.  And that's after moving back down to Florida from Chicago.

dsetterl

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 11:02:06 AM »
Yikes,
gas alone for that journey would be 800 dollars.

Maddie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 11:46:38 AM »
Long Island to Philly.  In terms of mileage that doesn't sound so bad, but it is time consuming and expensive because we have to pass through some of the most high-traffic, toll-heavy areas of the country!!

Steve Jones

• Dir of Admissions, Florida Coastal School of Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 09:11:13 AM »
Long Island to Philly.  In terms of mileage that doesn't sound so bad, but it is time consuming and expensive because we have to pass through some of the most high-traffic, toll-heavy areas of the country!!

Crimea River.  That's not even 100 miles.  Get real.

Oh wait - I just clicked on your LSD link.  I was thinking you were going to Penn.  I wouldn't move 100 miles to go to Temple.  I don't think I'd even move 10 miles to go there.

OBTW, the reason the tolls are so high is you have to pay to get out of Jersey.  There's a high demand for that.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 12:22:53 PM »

Oh wait - I just clicked on your LSD link.  I was thinking you were going to Penn.  I wouldn't move 100 miles to go to Temple.  I don't think I'd even move 10 miles to go there.

OBTW, the reason the tolls are so high is you have to pay to get out of Jersey.  There's a high demand for that.

Wow. You're rude. Glad I won't be seeing you in the fall.

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 12:43:15 PM »

OBTW, the reason the tolls are so high is you have to pay to get out of Jersey.  There's a high demand for that

TITCR.

I'll be moving about 1,600 miles. I'm not dicking around though, I bought a one way ticket and am taking two bags of clothes and other such essentials, my laptop, and some walking around money. I'd take a gun, but the airport frowns on that and I'm too lazy to fill out the paperwork to ship it.

Total cost should be between $600-$800 dollars, depending on if I take a cab or just walk from the airport into downtown and if I need to get a hotel for a few days.

TimMitchell

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 01:59:50 PM »

Wow. You're rude. Glad I won't be seeing you in the fall.

Yeah, get over yourself. I grew up around Philly a temple and a VERY respected school around here. If you are working in Philly the only place that outranks it is Penn, while Villanova and Rutgers and roughly similar. People that work in Philly usually choose Temple, though, because you have more opportunities being in the city.

And remember, even if your go to Yale and clerk for Roberts... you're still that guy that dogs someone anonymously on the Internet for going to a well above-average school. Maybe when your picking up law texts you should spend the extra dough a pick up a copy of Emily Post, ass.

FWIW though, I lol'd at the Jersey line.