Do you have tattoos?

Yes.
 22 (36.7%)
No, Never.
 23 (38.3%)
No, but maybe in the future.
 15 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Any Soo- to-be Lawyers with Ink?  (Read 10782 times)

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Any Soo- to-be Lawyers with Ink?
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2008, 08:16:54 AM »
It has been some time since I ran into a Viking.  About 600 years, I'd say.

you're over 600 years old.  what could you NOT have seen in your life?
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2008, 09:55:39 AM »
Anything decent by Rick Lax.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

derby

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2008, 10:02:12 AM »

I dont think any of "us" have claimed to be victims. If anything we are empowered by our decision to be ourselves regardless of the possibly narrow views held by others in our field.
your stance is fairly predictable though...those defending the SQ immediately accuse the "other" of playing the victim card.
I could care less whether you accept me or not and I was encouraging the party who began this thread to embrace whatever stance she wanted to regarding her tats.

I think grades and attitude don't lie, if you have those everything else is icing on the cake, or something your willing to overlook.

When you complain about being judged, and assert that the judging party is doing something wrong, that is the victim card.  It is wrong to judge someone on an immutable characteristic.  Your tattoos are not one.  It isn't distasteful to make a judgment about someone based on their deliberate actions and choices.  If you choose to show up to court late, unprepared, unshowered, drunk, or with a tattoo visible on your arm/neck/back/forehead, prepare to be judged.  You are responsible for your own choices, and they do say something about you as a person.

...but I never complained about being judged, I just said I didnt care and wasnt going to let other peoples narrow views dictate the way I choose to I live my life.
and on the immutable characteristic note, does that include sexuality and gender identity? (I think so) but it illustrates that it is not such a bright-line

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2008, 10:30:03 AM »
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2008, 10:46:49 AM »
I don't generally form opinions on things that are so rare that I have never seen them in my entire life.

You've never seen a Polynesian with facial tattoos?  I guess they're probably more common out here in California, but I wouldn't have thought them rare by any stretch.  Can you use your inductive reasoning abilities to take a stab at how you feel about the concept of the juxtaposition of traditional tattooing in a courtroom setting?  Fair enough if you can't. 

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2008, 11:46:26 AM »
No, I'm done with this line of interrogatories. 

bucky

• badgerbadgerbadger
    • AOL Instant Messenger - you+have+to+ask.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2008, 12:35:11 PM »
If only this were true....

"Though how in hell one passes judgment on a man without considering the content of his brain is more than Iíll ever understand"

I have visible tattoos on my forarms, nothing big or offensive, but i made the choice to get them, and i will make the choice to wear long sleeve shirts every day of my professional career.  Does it suck that i will be judge based on tattoos?  Of course it does.  But nobody should fool themselves into thinking it is going to change anytime soon.  Evertime i walk into a professors office and shake a hand, their eyes are immediately drawn to my tattoos.  And not just professors, everyone is instantly drawn to the sight of a tattoo.  I'm comfortable with the fact that I have them, and don't care if they judge me based on that.  However, I realize that these people are not the ones giving me a job and that hiring managers will judge me based on the fact.  Why? Because they realize that most clients will judge you based on the appearance of tattoos.  I don't care if your tattoo is a really pretty vine around your wrist, people do and will continue to judge.  I'm not sticking up for either side in this argument, and if you want to judge me based on my tattoos then you are somebody i would not associate with anyways. Even though society is becoming more accepting of tattoos does not mean the professional world will follow suit.  This is especially true of the legal profession because of the continious contact with clients, judges, and other lawyers.  Its not like we stand on wall street and trade all day.  Every day we deal with people who will judge you based on many factors, appearance included.  Am I perpetuating the wrong attitude with this opinion?  Maybe.  If it were up to me would I hire someone with visible tattoos?  Depends.  Getting tattoos is a personal choice and if you are willing to have visible tattoos, you had better be comfortable people judging you because it will happen.  Its a choice...its like people who choose to go to law school, but continously beotch about it.  Now those people I can't stand.

We have recently learned that bucky rocks out pretty hard.

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2008, 01:01:59 PM »
If only this were true....

"Though how in hell one passes judgment on a man without considering the content of his brain is more than Iíll ever understand"

Until someone invents a device with which you can peer into someone's brain, its contents will continue to be approximated by your voluntary choices and actions. 

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2008, 01:24:54 PM »

You, sir, are no fun.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2008, 01:30:29 PM »

You, sir, are no fun.

People who use the word "interrogatories" rarely are.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."